Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Common ground? Please help.

Thanks in advance.

My husband and I have different naming styles, so am hoping with your suggestions we can find a few common ground names that we both LOVE!

To give you an idea of our styles...

His favorites:
    Jim (he would have been okay with james, but we can't use it because it is a close nephew's name)
    Steve (not Steven or Stephen. He doesn't like those)
    Joshua (I used to be okay on this one, but not so much anymore)
    Jeff (not Jeffrey or Jefferson...he doesn't like those.)
    Benjamin (can't use...close nephew's name)
    Matthew (this is our top middle ground at the moment, but it doesn't feel exactly right to me. He LOVES it. I like it.)
    Mark
    Brad
    Jason (I like, but not sure if it is the one)
    ...he tends to like shorter names. And ones I feel are 70s/80s names. He does not like "old man/grandpa" names.

My favorites (he doesn't like any of these):
    Grant
    Reid
    James (can't use)
    Phillip
    Peter
    Frederick
    Gerrard
    Brandt
    Gabriel nn Gabe
    Garrett
    Lewis
    Brooks
    Clark
    Roman
    ...I like shorter, solid names.

Other info...
    We both like names that have one or two main spellings, names that are known (though I like less popular, in general), easy to pronounce & spell, and gender specific.

If it helps, our top girls' names we love and can happily agree on are Bridget and Kathryn (nn Kate for me and Katie for him). Bridget is my favorite and Kathryn is his. (Other names we considered, and are still in consideration are Hannah, Rebecca, Charlotte, Emily, Claire, & Alison)

It sounds like he is only ok with the most all American names, names he's always known and had friends of. Very safe! Does he like to try new foods or is he a meat and potatoes type of guy??

What about Graham or Owen?

Or a variant of some of his, like Marcus or Mateo/Matteo (I don't think you have to be Hispanic or Italian to use this name)?

You could try getting him to see Brandt as a more interesting/less dated Brad. How about Bram?

Matthew is not bad, just a bit bland. I see a sweet little boy with this name though. Maybe you could pick a more adventurous middle name?

I agree with emsky's suggestion of having a more adventurous middle name. As for some potential first names that are maybe more your husband's style, I'll put out:

Ryan
    Brett
    Kurt
    Jacob
    Kyle
    Brian

I agree with the suggestions of mintcream, especially Ryan, Jacob, and Kyle. I would suggest Jude, Caleb, Jack, and Connor.

Jack seems to fit both of your criteria!