Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gay & Lesbian Parents and Naming

I ran into a woman while walking my dog today and found out she was lesbian. She had her daughter in the stroller with her and the daughter’s middle name was Mary. It would’ve been used as a first name but with the slang term of it used in the gay community she would never use it.

We got to talking about naming concerns for gays and lesbians which is something I never thought of before. It ranged from not naming your child after gay icons (no Judy or Barbara). Obvious related names like Rainbow or Butch are a no-no. Another thing she mentioned is that gay and lesbian couples often hyphenate their last names (Smith-Johnson) so shorter names would do and multiple middle names for her we nixed.

With gay marriages becoming more visible, I wonder what challenges gay and lesbian parents have with naming their children. Pam and Linda have written in their books and this blog about concerns minorities like the Jewish, African-American, and other communities have about kids’ names. I wonder what unforeseen points that lesbian and gay parents have on naming.
    * 5 easy ways to judge a baby name
    http://nameberry.com/blog/5-easy-way...ge-a-baby-name

* 21 other baby name rules worth following
    http://nameberry.com/blog/no-dumb-na...orth-following

Um.. What does Mary stand for in the LGBTQ community? I'm a part of that myself, but I've never heard it being used. The only thing I pair it with, is a Mary Sue - which is a perfect character within writing.
    Plus, I wouldn't care - if I got a kid - if s/he had two middles and two last names. But I'd love to see him/her with my last name, since I cannot pronounce my girlfriends last name, as it's German (though I'm a little German too, as her). And I've never given it a thought that it would give problems in naming my child something and I've never thought that I probably should put more "effort" into icons from the gay community and stray from those names.
    But I'd never name my child Rainbow, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe on that one. Heh.
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~

Mary is slang for a gay man.
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

This is an interesting question. I grew up in a Chicano community in Southern California, and can appreciate the extra considerations those who identify as members of a culturally marginalized group often make during the naming process.
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

I think it still comes down to preference. She could've given her child a long name with 2 last names if she wanted to. She could name her child Rainbow if that's what she liked. It was her preference also to not name her child after gay icons. I know lots of people who belong to a minority group who have named their children after their cultures icons.
    Girls:
    Brenna, Coraline, Cordelia, Elodie, Francesca, Gianna, Helena, Ingrid, Margaret, Marilyn

Boys:
    Alaric, Griffon, Ivan, Joesph, Kenneth, Lucian, Nero, Orion, Phillip, Samson