Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does meaning matter? (Opinions on Delilah)?

Do you think the meaning of the name is all that important? The boyfriend likes Delilah off my list. It's got everything we're looking for - we both like it, it has three syllables, it fits in with the other names...
    The only problem is the meaning. Its meaning is "to flirt" and I'm not sure if that should stop me or not. I'd like for the names I choose to have meanings that are meaningful to me, but it's not required...However, should a bad meaning stop me? Previously, I was worried about the prostitute connotation, but I got past it.
    I'm just not sure and I would like your opinions. I tried thinking about how I would feel if my own name had a bad meaning, and I came to the conclusion that I would be a little bugged, but if I liked the name, I wouldn't care. It's not like the meaning is extremely relevant to everyday life, right?
    Anyway - opinions?
    ♂ Ellis Christopher / Asher Estlin / Seth Joshua / Gordon Thomas / Russell Joseph ♂
    ♀ Marilyn Kay / Joanna Kathryn / Tessa Diane / Nola Elaine / Christine Ruby ♀

Meaning matters to me. With bad meanings/connotations, I tend to brush them off, because I enjoy the irony of them and getting weird looks from people, even though the majority of the population won't know the meaning of any given name...

http://www.behindthename.com/name/delilah

I tend to trust this site for meanings. At any rate, if you like the sound of a name, the less-than-gloriously-positive meaning shouldn't stop you. You aren't calling your daughter a flirt or a weakling every time you say her name. You are calling her Delilah.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

Delilah does not mean "to flirt".

Meaning is important to me but it's not important to everyone and that's fine.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

If name meanings are important to you, then you should care about them.

Personally, I think a great meaning is an added value to a name.
    I obviously enjoy it when I discover a new name and find out it has a great meaning. But if it doesn't mean anything special, nevermind. I was in love with the name before, and will still be regardless of the meaning.
    And you're right, it's not like the meaning is extremely relevant to everyday life. People don't spend time googling the names of people they know and searching for their meanings.
    Michelle
    Hi! I'm an Italian teenberry with synesthesia.
    Apologies for any grammar/spelling mistakes. I try my best.

Although i like my names to have good meanings, I don't believe its a huge thing. Most people don't even know what certain names mean.
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett