Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Sanskrit alternatives to Mahesh

Trying to steer my partner away from Mahesh, hate the sound of it (especially the 'hAEsh' bit).

So I am looking for names, Sanskrit preferably, that will play well in the West.

For cultural reasons (not mine) no Muslim names (pity, there are some great ones)...

Those which refer to Shiva in their meaning are an added bonus I guess, like father like (future possible) son

At the moment we're discussing (read 'negotiating') names for a hypothetical baby so no real rush, but if you want to break a habit there's no time like the present.

Next habit to break is his calling all AngloCeltTeutonic etc names 'slave names' (when used for people who aren't white), I get that he's not a fan of cultural imperialism but not everyone understands his 'humour'...one step at a time...

Okay, how about these?

Amar
    Anand
    Aravind
    Dev*
    Dinesh
    Hari*
    Jai*
    Karan
    Kavi
    Lochan
    Mani
    Navin
    Pranay
    Rishi*
    Rohan
    Sandip
    Saral
    Sunil
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair

I googled a list of names of Shiva and looked for ones that seemed (at least to me) to have a straight forward sound. However, I have no idea what makes a "good sounding" name for this culture or if these are even correct forms of Shiva. Some sites tell me that there are 108 names and others 1008. That's quite a difference, so I apologize now if there is anything incorrect now.

Kapali
    Patu
    Karmand
    Suniti
    Sukhi
    Kavi
    Adri
    Aja
    Siddhi
    Hari
    Aditya
    Ruchi
    Dhava
    Dhvani
    Deva
    Govind / Govinda

Kailas - This one sounds like it would fit in well in the US, and had a rather nice meaning.

Ishaan or Ishan was a name recommended on a different website. I rather like the sound of it, but don't know the connotations
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Leonie

Thanks for that list sunshine kid, I am trying these on him gradually, it's hard to replace a long cherished name, but we'll see how it goes.

Any further suggestions appreciated :-)

Thanks also teacherma, sorry, I was writing this reply as you posted so I hadn't seen it, the feedback from your list was 'too South Indian'...I don't even know what that means >.>
    Last edited by taiki_bansei; July 8th, 2013 at 11:18 AM.

Maybe these? I tried looking up Northern Indian names.

Kunal
    Akash
    Rakesh
    Prajval
    Ajay
    Varun
    Kalidas
    Ashwin
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Leonie