Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Opinions on Sassy

Hi, I like Sassy. I know a lot of Americans are going to hate it, but we don't really use sassy as a word, so it would be fine in Britain. If you are British can you tell me what you think and if you are American can you tell me what you think forgetting how you use it in America.
    Thank you,
    Ellie xx

Hi everyone again!
    Thanks for all your feedback, I forgot to say that I wouldn't use it as a first name, only as a nickname, but I wouldn't necessarily use it at all, I just really like it, especially for Saskia! There are so many of you that hate it!
    Thank you,
    Ellie xx
    Last edited by cassandrah; July 8th, 2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: More stuff to say :D
    💖💖💖17 year old Britberry💖💖💖
    💖💖💖Writer, dreamer, lover💖💖💖

💗💗💗Girls: Willa, Rosa, Genevieve, India, Ashlyn, Alana, Marina, Bianca, Amber, Honor, Fallon💗💗💗

💙💙💙Boys: Daniel, Elliot, Luke, Lawrence, Ronan, Aethred, Alan, Finnian, Eric, Matthew, Joe, Marius💙💙💙

My etsy shop- http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LacianaEarrings

It's fine as a nickname but completely ridiculous as a given name.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I'm not a fan. It doesn't sound pleasant to my ear, it contains a curse, and I'm hesitant about names ending in an eee sound that aren't well established as full names. (That is to say, Emily or Verity or Mary feel fine, but I'm wary of Ellie and Kaylee without full names to fall back on.)

And honestly, love, most people do have to interact with others outside their country. If wee Sassy grows up to be a businesswoman dealing with international corporations, her name will sound a bit ridiculous on the conference call. If she falls in love with an American exchange student and moves to Nebraska, she'll be laughed out of town.

As a Brit, I don't think it's usable here. Think how many US imports we get - TV, books, films, music. It's a word everyone will know what it means even if it's not used here on a daily basis. I know cutesy sounding nicknames are in but Sassy isn't a name, it's a word and a descriptive one at that. How about Saskia nn Sassy? You can use the nickname informally but she's got something less awkward to grow up with.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Even if your daughter Sassy won't live in USA herself, she may have friends or co-workers from there and they may be confused. Or she might hate the name herself if she turns out shy and quiet(even if you don't use the word much, you can't say it doesn't exist as a word at all). What about Saskia for full name with nickname Sassy?
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Serena Elowen LivEmmeline Twila AliceSibyl Jemima IrisEsme Helena Mazarine
    Nathaniel Silvius Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector Barnaby