Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Curran: Weird or Wonderful?

My partner and I are expecting a baby, due in July, and don't know the sex but have a gut feeling it's a boy. We have lots of time to decide but are so excited (we'd been trying a while) that we're already deep into name planning. My partner likes Owen, but I worry it's too trendy. We're also tossing around Ronan and Curran. I love Curran for its meaning and the culinary associations, but worry it's almost too "out there." I've seen the name on this site but not most other baby naming sources. Friends give me a blank look when I mention it. Someone thought I'd said "Currant." Is it too weird? Would he constantly have to explain and spell his name? Or does it seem like it hits a sweet spot? Opinions welcome! Thanks so much.

Re: Curran: Weird or Wonderful?

It's okay. I don't love it or hate it. It does remind me a lot of Cullen, though.
    *Mother to twins Charles and Samuel*

I've never seen Curran as a first name, only as a surname. And the family I know whose surname is Curran does always have to correct the pronunciation - cur-RAN rather than CUR-ren - or correct those that mishear currant. I wouldn't use it myself.

Ah, good point about the pronunciation - I'd assumed it was "CUR-ren." Even harder if some would say "cur-RAN" due to last name associations.

I like Curran, but then it doesn't sound weird to me as I taught a lovely boy called Kurun (KUR-un) -- he's 3rd generation Indian which is where the name comes from.
    Trends, styles and quirks of British names:
    www.britishbabynames.com