Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ian... what?

@basicsand - like I said the last time you asked me, I don't feel comfortable giving out my surname. The likelihood that it'll spell anything period is relatively small, and I can't think of anything negative it could spell, especially since I'll be using two middles. Besides, by the time I actually have children, my surname very likely will have changed, so it really has no bearing at all.

@rkrd - while Ian may only be a mn at best in your book, that doesn't make me like it any less. Yes, I do have other ways to honor my dad and brother, but Ian is the choice under consideration right now. I like softer-sounding boys' names, so what you dislike about Ian is what I love about it.

@scarletrune - Ian Dashiell intrigues me! I really like Ian Mackenzie, actually, too--I've known a handful of guy Mackenzies and only one baby girl Mackenzie, so it still seems really masculine to me, and I love how Scottish Ian Mackenzie feels! I just didn't feel like it really suited my style... Could you see Ian Mackenzie (Grant) as a brother to the names on my list? I've been loving Vaughn lately, too, but I don't love Ian Vaughn, for some reason...

@erin - I do like Ian Dominic, but since Dominic nn Dom is another name on my list, I feel like I really shouldn't repeat it...

What are everyone's thoughts on Ian Copeland and Ian Wycliffe? ATM, they're my top 2 contenders but I'm just not sure about them. I like Copeland for Aaron Copland, as in the composer. One of the first songs I learned on the piano was written by him, so I thought it was a nice connection. And I've just been really into John Wycliffe lately, and I thought Ian Wycliffe was really cool. I just don't know if Wycliffe is too out there for Ian. Thoughts? I was thinking Ian Alexander Wycliffe or Ian Wycliffe Grant?
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    @scarletrune - Ian Dashiell intrigues me! I really like Ian Mackenzie, actually, too--I've known a handful of guy Mackenzies and only one baby girl Mackenzie, so it still seems really masculine to me, and I love how Scottish Ian Mackenzie feels! I just didn't feel like it really suited my style... Could you see Ian Mackenzie (Grant) as a brother to the names on my list? I've been loving Vaughn lately, too, but I don't love Ian Vaughn, for some reason...

What are everyone's thoughts on Ian Copeland and Ian Wycliffe? ATM, they're my top 2 contenders but I'm just not sure about them. I like Copeland for Aaron Copland, as in the composer. One of the first songs I learned on the piano was written by him, so I thought it was a nice connection. And I've just been really into John Wycliffe lately, and I thought Ian Wycliffe was really cool. I just don't know if Wycliffe is too out there for Ian. Thoughts? I was thinking Ian Alexander Wycliffe or Ian Wycliffe Grant?
    I could definitely see Ian Mackenzie with other names from your sig, especially something like Jack Dominic and Lydia Catherine. In the middle, Mackenzie works really well with other names you like, especially since you don't seem to like any unisex names for girls.

I'm not a fan of either Copeland or Wycliffe but I do prefer Ian Copeland to Ian Wycliffe.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    I really like Ian Mackenzie, actually, too--I've known a handful of guy Mackenzies and only one baby girl Mackenzie, so it still seems really masculine to me, and I love how Scottish Ian Mackenzie feels! I just didn't feel like it really suited my style... Could you see Ian Mackenzie (Grant) as a brother to the names on my list? I've been loving Vaughn lately, too, but I don't love Ian Vaughn, for some reason...
    I think Mackenzie on a boy works perfectly for you. You've got other unisex names on the male side of your list - Bailey, Avery - and Mackenzie fits in perfectly alongside those. Ian Mackenzie Grant is such a handsome name. I think Ian and Vaughn sound too similar to each other to be paired together - the -n ending and the long vowel sound.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George