Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Helen

17 26.98%
  • Helena (HEL-leh-nuh)

46 73.02%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Helen or Helena?

Helena (pronounced HEL-leh-nuh) has been on our list for a long time, and it gets lots of berry love whenever I post a poll here. But I can't fall in love with it, and I'm starting to think that maybe I like Helen better. What do you all think? Is one name better than the other with our sibset (Alexander, Madelyn, and Genevieve)? Do they both work? If you prefer Helena, why? Help me fall in love with it!
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (11), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

Helena is a beautiful name, especially when pronounced the way you've got it (not super fond of the heh-LAY-nuh variation), but if you prefer Helen, go for it. It's also gorgeous.

Also consider Helene, pronounced either heh-LEEN or heh-LEN.

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey

I prefer the simplicity of Helen. I like Ha lay nuh, but not Helen uh.

I hadn't thought of Helene -- I like the French pronunciation for that one. Thanks for the feedback!
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (11), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

I like Helena (your prn.) a lot. I never seem to be able to commit to it--I am madly in love with the original Greek form, Eleni, though!--but it's so romantic and feminine and effortlessly beautiful. I like Helena better with your kiddos, but it could just be because I don't get Helen. It seems frumpy and old-fashioned and harsh to me, and I can't for the life of me picture a cute little girl (really, anything but a grumpy old lady) with the name. I do like @cosmonaut's suggestion of Helene, though. In French, it's pronounced ay-LEN, which I think is so lilting and gorgeous. Maybe a bit too much effort for what it's worth, though, which is why I generally reserve it as a MN. I've considered Zara Helene and Eva Lydia Helene lately.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter