Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Baby Names: January - July 2013 Telegraph Birth Announcements

I know many Berries are interested in British baby names. Unfortunately the latest offical data for England and Wales dates back to 2011. Therefore I have compilied a list of the birth announcements published in The Telegraph since January this year, and their frequency, as an informal barometer of baby names.

A word of warning, the Telegraph tends to attact announcements from a more upper class crowd (a handful of the babies listed even had titles!), therefore the names listed below will likely NOT be that representative of British naming styles overall. For example the name Montgomery was one of the more popular names out of the set, but as a Brit I'm yet to meet a single Montgomery, and doubt you would bump into many Monty's in your average playground.

The numbers in the brackets indicate the total number of announcements per name. I listed first names only.

I'm interested that George and Charlotte are so high up. Could some people be hedging bets on the name of the future Royal baby, and getting in there before Wills & Kate I wonder?

Enjoy!

Boys

5 or More Announcements
    William (17), George (13), Frederick (9), Jack (9), Samuel (9), Charles (8), Edward (8), Harry (8), Henry (8), James (7), Alexander (6), Arthur (6), Hugo (6), Oscar (6), Hector (5), Maximilian/Maximilien (5), Montgomery (5)

4 Announcements
    Alfred, Archie, Barnaby, Freddie, Nicholas, Oliver, Theodore, Thomas, Zachary,

3 Announcements
    Angus, Benedict, Bertie, Cosmo, Finlay/Finley, Francis, Miles, Orlando, Rory, Sebastian, Stanley, Tobias, Wilbur, Wilfrid

2 Announcements
    Albert, Alfie, Benjamin, Callum, Caspar/Casper,Charlie, Christopher, Edmund, Ethan, Felix, Fergus, Finn, Jacob, Jake, Jasper, Leo, Luca, Luke, Matthew, Montague, Monty, Otto, Robert, Robin, Rufus, Theo, Toby

1 Announcement
    Albie, Alex, Arlo, Atticus, Aubrey, Augustus, Ben, Bernard, Brodie, Bruno, Cameron, Carl, Cash, Clement, Constantine, Crispin, Daniel, Danson, Digby, Dominic, Dylan, Eric, Finnigan, Frank, Gabriel, Geordie, Gus, Halkett, Hamish, Harris, Hubert, Hudson, Humphrey, Isaac, Ivo, Jackson, Jaydon, Joe, John, Johnnie, Jonathan, Jordan, Josef, Joseph, Joshua, Kit, Llewelyn, Logan, Louie, Ludo, Ludovic, Max, Maximus, Michael, Myles, Noah, Oswald, Patrick, Peter, Philip, Quentin, Rafe, Raff, Ralph, Ranulph, Rex, Rowland, Rupert, Seth, Sholto, Tarquin, Ted, Teymour, Tobyn, Wilf, Winston, Xavier

Girls

5 or More Announcements
    Charlotte (12), Isabel/Isabelle/Isobel (9), Poppy (9), Beatrice (7), Florence (6), Isabella (6), Matilda (6), Alice (5), Flora (5),

4 Announcements
    Eliza, Elizabeth, Martha, Mary, Molly, Rose

3 Announcements
    Annabelle, Arabella, Ayla/Isla, Claudia, Daisy, Eleanor, Elodie, Emilia, Imogen, Jemima, Josephine, Maisie, Millie, Olivia, Ottilie, Sophie

2 Announcements
    Alexandra, Amelie, Annabel, Bay, Bonnie/Bonny,Catherine, Cecily, Celia, Chloe, Clara, Clementine, Ella, Emily, Emmeline, Esme, Gabriella, Georgina, Grace, Harriet, Henrietta, Iris, Jessica, Lara, Lily, Nina, Philippa, Phoebe, Rosie, Scarlett, Sophia, Theodora, Thomasina, Victoria, Xanthe

1 Announcement
    Agnes, Ailey, Alannah, Alette, Alexa, Alexina, Amelia, Angelina, Anna, Annie, Araminta, Ariana, Arwen, Audrey, Ava, Beth, Bibiana, Camilla, Carla, Claire, Coco, Cosima, Dorothy, Edith, Effie, Eloise, Elsa, Elspeth, Erin, Euphemia, Eva, Evelyn, Freya, Georgiana, Hallie, Hannah, Heidi, Helen, Honor, Isla-May, Juliette, Kitty, Laura, Lavinia, Layli, Lois, Louise, Lucie, Luella, Lyla, Margaret, Margot, Marieta, Marina, Marni, Maude, Maya, Mia, Miranda, Natasha, Olive, Patsy, Peony, Romilly, Safia, Samara, Stella, Stevie, Susannah, Tabitha, Tallulah, Teresa, Velvet, Viola, Violet, Wilhelmina, Willa, Xanthippe
    Last edited by novaberry; July 7th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
    My Top 10 Girls Names: Astrid, Elara, Evelyn, Hannah, Hester, Lorna, Megan, Ophelia, Sylvia, Tabitha
    My Top 10 Boys Names: Alistair, Andrew, Graeme, Hamish, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Aurelius, Damaris, Digory, Hermione, Isis, Phineas, Loki, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx, Orion

Thanks for sharing. I'm quite surprised to see that Oliver isn't under the five or more announcements, but like you said this is mostly amongst the upper class crowd.

This is a pretty classic list of names, I have to say. Not too many that are groan-worthy! Good to know what is currently stylish there, too. Further confirms my fears about Matilda. Very interesting how some names are the small as the current US popular names (all the versions of Isabelle), but some are no where near popularity in the US!

SO pleased that there's a baby Lois in there, too.

Same old. Not surprised at Charlotte and George, they've been steadily in the top (Charlotte's been quite consistently in the top 20 for the past 30 years), and George is a classic.

I was excited to see Bruno, Hamish, Ivo, Jasper, Kit, Ranulph, Robin, Rufus, Rupert and Xavier & Bonnie, Cosima, Euphemia, Eva, Iris, Miranda, Tabitha, Thomasina, Viola, Xanthe and Xanthippe.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Oooh, an Agnes but no Felicitys - I'm surprised!
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.