Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I really want to rename my cat Smaug after the dragon from the Hobbit because he hoards our dog's food in addition to his own. My problem is I don't want to take him to the vet checkups and explain the reasoning behind his name because where I live there isn't a priority on education. Should I use two names for him or throw caution to the wind and call him what I want?

Does the cat already know his/her original name? It might confuse him for awhile.

I know people that have a "vet" name for their pet - it might be called something really wacky on a day to day basis, but it's registered at the vet with a much more normal name. I don't know why you'd have to explain your cat's name though, surely a vet would just accept a Smaug as much as Ruby as much as Princess Flufflebottom III.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

I agree with essjay -- either option should work. If you want to have an easy name for the vet, go ahead. On the other hand, while you might have to spell Smaug, I don't know why you would need to educate people about where you got it. My one question -- does it sound like "smog"? I'm not a Hobbit fan.

I did a quick search, and it looks as though a movie, Smaug might be coming out -- or -- for all I know -- is out already. In either case, you won't have to explain a thing, and it even increases the likelihood you won't have to spell it as often.

Seriously? It's a cat, I don't think they're going to care what you name it, if anything, they might assume your child named it. We didn't change our cats names for the vet. She did, however, ask how we came upon the name Calcifer, and we just explained that it was from the book: Howl's Moving Castle. She basically thought it was interesting and neat. They didn't even care about Mittzy's name. I'm sure they've heard worse/stranger names.

As for the pet being used to the name, not sure how true that is for cats. Our cats don't really respond to their names, but they do know when we're talking to them when we make our voices baby like/high pitch or when we're mad at them by talking in a more stern voice.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables