Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smismar View Post
    Because it DOES matter, in many cases, what the credentials of the attendant of a homebirth is. The OP seemed to imply that all homebirths are being attended by unlicensed or unqualified fly-by-night providers. I can assure you that is not the case. I'd love to see a study that actually looked at the HB provider credentials. Personally, I'm using a certified nurse midwife that has a back-up assistant MW and has attended thousands of births. I have been thoroughly screened to make sure that I'm low risk and qualify properly for a homebirth. I have had all the prenatal tests that any other mom delivering in a hospital with an OB would get, including blood tests, ultrasounds, glucose testing, etc... all with far more personal service (I know because I delivered in a hospital with an OB for my first birth and I'm also a doula). There is no way to know whether the homebirths in this study were provided for in this way or not.

Yes, scary stuff can happen at any birth. I don't think it's always rainbows and unicorns, but I also think that if a woman is educated on her options, is low-risk with a healthy pregnancy, and has a qualified provider there is no reason that home isn't the best place for her to birth.

(And I don't blame people for fear. 5 years ago, I would have felt the exact same way as most people in this thread.)
    ^This! Precisely.
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas, Callahan, Caius, Ezra, Bram, Atticus, Aspen, Sylvan, Constantine, Perrin & Pascoe
    Lyra, Elodie, Elowen, Isis, Artemis, Sylvia, Vesper, Anouk, Willa, Cassia, Elka & Sage

Quote Originally Posted by smismar View Post
    I also have to question the agenda of the OP and why this particular study got posted here. I mean, numerous studies about birth and outcomes are published every month. What does the OP have against homebirth that they felt the need to share this particular one? Who was she targeting and what was her purpose for posting it on a board that has little to do with actual birth scenarios?
    I have every bit of faith that Blade has no sinister ulterior motive. In fact, there have been a few threads with productive discussion regarding natural birth, home birth, birth centers, and hospital births over the last year or so. It's somewhat of an open discussion that some of the moms on the forum have been having. Blade is a doctor, and she's very up front about that, so I believe her actual motive is for mothers to make informed decisions, and know the risks involved with whatever birth plan they may choose.

I understand where you are coming from on the credentials of the providers. I would love to see the numbers for just CNMs doing homebirths vs birth centers vs hospital. Regardless, the numbers point to the credentials mattering less than location. It's the proximity to interventions, should they be needed, that makes these numbers what they are. Even if the birth center is across the street from the hospital, the 5 minutes that it takes to dispatch the ambulance, load you up, assess you, and get you into surgery can be the determining factor in your child living or dying, or having permanent brain damage. You are right in that home birth is most likely a safe choice for you, in your circumstances, but it doesn't mean it's AS safe or SAFER than a hospital birth. The risks due to interventions, etc, at the hospital are less likely to be fatal or cause permanent damage.

I was unhappy with my own hospital birth. I believe there are three reasons that my breastfeeding relationship failed with DD, and they are all the fault of the nursing staff... but that doesn't change the numbers in this study.
    Last edited by tk.; July 10th, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Also, I don't think that OP was implying that all MW's are hacks. The problem is that it can be difficult to find a well trained AND experienced MW, and many people don't even know what certifications to look for or are misled by the provider. Regulations for midwifery as a practice are really still forming in the country - it's not like New Zealand where you're birthing with a MW in most cases, regardless of whether you choose hospital or home. There it's an integral part of the healthcare system for women. Here it's a marginal type of practice, though becoming more accepted.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Well, I'm a doctor, too, but seeing as how she's an MD (I'm assuming) and a surgeon based on her signature and I'm a chiropractor (DC)/acupuncturist/doula that works closely with midwives I can see why we approach birth from very different positions. Knowing the biases of a poster (we all have them) helps understand where they are coming from. And unless she's an OB or another doc that works in birth settings such as an anesthesiologist, neonatologist, or MFM, I'd be willing to guess that I've likely been present at more births - especially more natural, unmedicated births.

Edit to add: This isn't to say that I discount her opinions entirely. If I need advice on a surgery of her specialty, then I would be all ears. We all have our strengths.
    Last edited by smismar; July 10th, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

Thanks Blade! Very insightful. I have planned to give birth to future children with a midwife in a hospital, but this study makes me want to consider giving birth with an OBGYN in a hospital.
    Current Favorites:
    Elizabeth Lily nn Ellie
    Mary Emmeline nn Maisie
    Sarah Evangeline nn Sadie

Nathaniel nn Nate