Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Besides the Medical data, it's always going to be a personal decision.

My goal was an unmedicated hospital birth with my son. I went in with a completely open mind. and ended up with an Epidural and a C-Section. And I found out that by comparing my 6 wk post delivery appt and my 1 yr post delivery appt that I would never have delivered naturally. The only way for me and my children to survive childbirth is medical intervention. It would have been nice to know that before 36 hours of labor... but I'll take it now.

I'm more comfortable in a medical environment, including Birthing Centers, and feel better when friends go that route too... but am still fascinated by women who choose home birth.
    Mom to:
    Weston Christopher, July 2008
    Keegan Nathaniel,
    Dec. 12, 2013
    Sebastian Miller,
    Dec. 12, 2013

Current loves:
    ~ Emerson ~ Eden ~ Rosalind ~ Caroline ~ Matilda ~ Gemma ~

~ Landon ~ Kellan ~ Asher ~ Griffin ~ Archer ~ Edison ~ Holden ~ Harrison ~ Elliot ~

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    I think it's 14 *million*
    Oops, my bad. Wow, that is a lot of observations.

I'd still trust the results and conclusions, though.
    Mom to James Daniel (10) William Joseph (8), Elise Marie (7), and Zachary Allan (baby)
    http://letterstoauntkay.blogspot.com/

TTC #5
    Serena (Seri), Amy, Diana, Kate, Adele, Georgia, Audrey, Lucy, Linnea, Clara
    Thomas, Henry, Orin, Arthur, Samuel

DH's "approved" list:
    Seri, Amy, Diana, Lucy, Kate/Katie/Katherine, Audrey
    Thomas, Martin ("maybe")

Quote Originally Posted by smismar View Post
    IMO, Posts like this only breed fear and are biased, particularly when it's unknown what the provider's credentials actually are.
    If the research is good I fail to see how the credentials of the provider really matters, the post was actually really useful in explaining the statistics etc in a way that science reporting in the lay press usually fails to do. This information is very relevant to many people on this forum. If what was found in the research is frightening, then that's just how it is I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by taiki_bansei View Post
    If the research is good I fail to see how the credentials of the provider really matters, the post was actually really useful in explaining the statistics etc in a way that science reporting in the lay press usually fails to do. This information is very relevant to many people on this forum. If what was found in the research is frightening, then that's just how it is I guess.
    Because it DOES matter, in many cases, what the credentials of the attendant of a homebirth is. The OP seemed to imply that all homebirths are being attended by unlicensed or unqualified fly-by-night providers. I can assure you that is not the case. I'd love to see a study that actually looked at the HB provider credentials. Personally, I'm using a certified nurse midwife that has a back-up assistant MW and has attended thousands of births. I have been thoroughly screened to make sure that I'm low risk and qualify properly for a homebirth. I have had all the prenatal tests that any other mom delivering in a hospital with an OB would get, including blood tests, ultrasounds, glucose testing, etc... all with far more personal service (I know because I delivered in a hospital with an OB for my first birth and I'm also a doula). There is no way to know whether the homebirths in this study were provided for in this way or not.

Yes, scary stuff can happen at any birth. I don't think it's always rainbows and unicorns, but I also think that if a woman is educated on her options, is low-risk with a healthy pregnancy, and has a qualified provider there is no reason that home isn't the best place for her to birth.

(And I don't blame people for fear. 5 years ago, I would have felt the exact same way as most people in this thread.)
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

I also have to question the agenda of the OP and why this particular study got posted here. I mean, numerous studies about birth and outcomes are published every month. What does the OP have against homebirth that they felt the need to share this particular one? Who was she targeting and what was her purpose for posting it on a board that has little to do with actual birth scenarios?
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman