Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    What's odd is there are usually CNMs in more populated areas who attend home births, at least enough to cover the demand. I don't know if it's cost, availability, lack of information/ research, or something else that causes women who opt for home birth to choose a different type of midwife, but I'd be interested to know the motivation behind that.
    Mom to 2 girls ♥ Bayard McConnell "Bay" & Marguerite Davis "Maple"

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Thanks blade a good reminder to everyone as these stats clearly state that it is MUCH more dangerous to have a home birth than a hospital birth.

I had extremely complicated problems with my pregnancies and I would not have survived without a doctors intervention and neither would my babies.

Please ladies go to a hospital birthing centre where you have the midwives and the doctors on hand to help you.

And if you are considering a home birth think again make sure you have all the facts, and especially do not do it as an economy measure.

rollo

Oh how I wish this was an option for me. The only birthing center in my metro area is NOT attached to a hospital. Pretty much, if I want to birth with a CNM, I can do it at the birthing center or in my home. I could be wrong, but I don't think that there are many areas in the US that have true midwife run birth centers attached to hospitals. If I choose a hospital birth, I will have intervention after intervention pressed upon me, making my birth much more stressful than it would be if I could trust the attendants to just leave me alone unless something was wrong. Then I'll have people bugging me from sunup to sundown following the birth, keeping baby and me from sleeping, nursing, etc. I'm sure there are US hospitals where this is not the case, but most of us don't have access to them

That said, this paper convinced me not to go with the local birth center, so thank you, Blade. I'd rather deal with the aforementioned complications than mourn a dead or neurologically impaired baby. We'll just be bringing a doula and checking out as soon as I am physically able
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post

I had extremely complicated problems with my pregnancies
    rollo
    You were obviously a terrible candidate for home birth then, that doesn't mean everyone is.
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas, Callahan, Caius, Ezra, Bram, Atticus, Aspen, Sylvan, Constantine, Perrin & Pascoe
    Lyra, Elodie, Elowen, Isis, Artemis, Sylvia, Vesper, Anouk, Willa, Cassia, Elka & Sage

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    If you want a midwife-attended birth, compare the outcomes for hospital midwives (who are competent trained professionals) to homebirths midwives (who are not). Both supposedly represent the same pool of low-risk, healthy women patients, but the homebirth outcomes led to TWENTY times more dead babies than the hospital midwives.
    Seems very country specific info - in New Zealand, it is the same midwives (all competent, trained professionals) who attend both hospital and homebirths. No wonder birthing at home is such a safe option for so many women here
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas, Callahan, Caius, Ezra, Bram, Atticus, Aspen, Sylvan, Constantine, Perrin & Pascoe
    Lyra, Elodie, Elowen, Isis, Artemis, Sylvia, Vesper, Anouk, Willa, Cassia, Elka & Sage

Quote Originally Posted by milasmama View Post
    Seems very country specific info - in New Zealand, it is the same midwives (all competent, trained professionals) who attend both hospital and homebirths. No wonder birthing at home is such a safe option for so many women here
    Yes, it's a similar scenario in Australia.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter