Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Just had a flashback to stats class - the horror!

Thanks for posting the information Blade. As someone currently TTC, it is very beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Interesting, I think, but I am very bad with numbers so not sure how much I actually understood...

I hope I can have a home birth with this baby, and my doctor told me as long as it's not your first baby, giving birth at home is just as safe as doing it in the hospital. Here in England your midwife will come and be with you during the birth though, and you will be strongly advised against home births if it's your first baby or there's anything that could cause complications. But I guess these things are different?
    Yep I remember reading (when I was convinced I wanted to be a midwife) that the British Medical Journal published a study on how it's just safe to be at home for baby #2 and subsequent children. And RCM encourages home births for uncomplicated pregnancies. I think we do things a tad different over here though!

With possible future babbas with smooth pregnancies, I think I'd want home births. I know I'd be waaaaaaay more comfortable in my own home than in a hospital. But we'll see
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

C&P; I don't remember exactly how many my doctor said, but I think it was 45 out of 100 first baby home births that were brought to hospital, and 12 out of 100 for second or subsequent babies. Also serious injuries/death is extremely rare, so I think it's better over here. But we've got free health care, so I guess that's a part of it too.

It sounds so much more relaxing at home! Especially when you already have a child, and we'll be in our new home by then (if we get the house we want we'll be really far away from a hospital with a maternity ward). I just hope I'll find a nice midwife out in faerieland!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

My best friend is due to have a baby any day now and she is having a natural birth in a hospital, because she is well aware of how bad home births can go. She was born at home (as 90% of my friends/acquaintances were) and her mom was very confident about it because her brother was such an easy birth, she pushed for like 15 minutes and he was out with no issues. My friend on the other hand, turned out to be a very complicated birth and her shoulders got stuck. Her mom (and her, probably) almost died. Her midwife was a friend who was a nurse practitioner (she worked at a women's clinic and mostly performed abortions) knew what to do somehow and got her out in time. I think everyone should have the right to have a home birth if they want one, but just know the facts and be prepared if anything goes wrong.

Here is my opinion/thoughts on home birth via Patton Oswalt. Some foul language and crudeness, just a warning. Blade, I think you'll like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbai-yBRyHg
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Thanks blade a good reminder to everyone as these stats clearly state that it is MUCH more dangerous to have a home birth than a hospital birth.

I had extremely complicated problems with my pregnancies and I would not have survived without a doctors intervention and neither would my babies.

Please ladies go to a hospital birthing centre where you have the midwives and the doctors on hand to help you.

And if you are considering a home birth think again make sure you have all the facts, and especially do not do it as an economy measure.

rollo
    Last edited by rollo; July 7th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Psalm 23