Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What would be your reaction to a little boy named August?

Would you think it stupid? Assume I named my son simply after the month? This is the reaction I've been getting a lot (not that I have a son called August - one day hopefully!).
    Matilda, Beatrix, Lucille, Margo, Ivy, Guinevere, Isadora, Violet, Ada, Alice, Hermione, Cora, Elizabeth, Flora, Olive, Sybil, Isolde
    Felix, Henry, Ambrose, Darcy, Asa, Ezra, August, Oscar, Theodore, Edward, Clark, Arthur, Jasper, Winston, Percival

Happiness? Lol. I love the name August It's a real name so it's not stupid in the slightest.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Well I love the name August! It is one of my favorites!
    I do think that month names are tricky. If your name is April, your birthday is most likely in April. August should be the same. Or the month should hold some meaning to the parents. I would love to use the name, but probably won't unless we conceive in August. My mother's birthday is in August too, so I guess there is that reason. My mother pointed out that August can be the short form of Augustus and Augustine though. I like Augustin.

Quote Originally Posted by niteowl13 View Post
    Well I love the name August! It is one of my favorites! I do think that month names are tricky. If your name is April, your birthday is most likely in April. August should be the same.
    It isn't August after the month though. The month was named after the emperor
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I've been wondering this as well, since August is on our list (I like the idea of a little Gus). I like it a lot, but we've started considering Augustus and Augustin as alternatives due to the month association (we are due in January, so... yeah), and also concern that it may read feminine. I can't think of another month, day or season name that isn't feminine: January, Wednesday, Summer, Winter, Sunday, April, May(/Mae), June are all feminine.

My associations with the name are Tommy's girlfriend on 3rd Rock from the Sun, and more recently a male character on Once Upon a Time (who is rather handsome). It felt feminine to me until the latter. Now it feels masculine, yet soft. A gentleman in the purest sense of the word.
    One little born 1/14