Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I don't have a big problem with it, but my husband thinks it is weird and he's been reading the series since the '90s. I think it is easier to pronounce than Daenerys, and although it means "queen" I don't have a problem with that since it's not English. I wouldn't personally use it though because it will probably be trendy and it would sound horrible with our last name. But I would also use Arwen so call me crazy...or a supernerd. (Perhaps because my name is Amity and I was never bothered by the Amityville thing, I don't see a problem with many unique names that most people think are too out there)

I'm not really a fan of Game of Thrones, but my husband watches it and I usually join him because I have nothing else better to do. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with it. She is a very dynamic and powerful character, she's not evil. And the name itself is pretty cool, so is Daenerys. Just because it's "in" now, doesn't mean it will be in 5-10 years. It would be like naming your daughter Arwen or another Tolkien name that was "made up" using common Welsh sounds. J.M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, made up the name Wendy and think about how many women are named Wendy out there! I would rather meet a little Khaleesi than another Kaylee.
    Last edited by rowangreeneyes; July 7th, 2013 at 02:02 AM.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the people naming their daughters Khaleesi are just SoIaF/GoT super fans. People get pretty intense - I know a Worf named after the Star Trek character. His parents are diehard Trekkies who dress up and go to conventions and speak Klingon, or used to when they were younger.

As far as it meaning queen, I don't that in of itself is enough to knock it out. Reyna and Regina both mean queen and are common enough names. I'd be much more concerned about Khaleesi being so inextricably linked to one character, a character whose full story hasn't even been told yet since the series is still in progress.

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr

I'm not a huge GoT fan, but I watch it. And I'm really bothered by the Khaleesi-as-a-name stuff, too, for a number of reasons. First, for the you-wouldn't-name-your-kid-Princess reason. Next, for the it-sounds-like-parcheesi-or-a-cat-disease reason. And lastly, because it's not her name, and people seem to think it is. Even in episode recaps, people will say stuff like "Khaleesi did X in last night's episode" which really annoys me. It's Daenerys or THE Khaleesi.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

I wouldn't choose it for my child, God knows, buuut, there would certainly be worst nicknames to have than Mother of Dragons. Blows all my nicknames out of the water, that's for sure.

In general, George R. R. Martin has invented some truly fantastic names. My personal favourite is Eddard. If I wasn't worried about the stigma of naming a child something recently made up, I'd be all over that.

Mary | Elsbeth | Clotilde | Everild | Beatrix | Junia | Tabitha | Gwendolen | Octavia | Eve | March | Edwen

Simeon | Lionel | Barnabus | Ezekiel | Hector | Ignatius | August | Jove | Sayer | Booker | Mariner | Cecil | Godfrey