Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I think when you hear a name before you meet the person (such as when looking at resumes of job applicants or when your children mention classmates you don't know), it is common to form an impression based on the name. There are names that I immediately associate with a particular ethnic group or race. (I expect a Carlos or Marisol to be Hispanic.) There are names I immediately associate with an age range. (I expect a Jennifer or Jason to be over 30.)

With children, I tend to judge the parents not the children. When I hear of a child named Michael or Emma, I tend to think "unimaginative parents." When I hear of a child named Bambi or Rocky, I tend to think "uneducated parents." When I hear of a child named, Atticus or Bronte, I tend to think "literary parents." I could go on and on.

That said, I have often been surprised when I meet people after having heard their name first. For that reason, I would never base my willingness to associate or befriend someone on their name. And I would never determine who my child could play with based on their name.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

I am just curious how one could take children with names like Joseph, Elizabeth, Matthew, Carrie, David, Sarah, Katie, and Thomas, and judge them? Honestly, what in the world could you say about them that wouldn't be a complete guess?
    Last edited by sdsurfmama; July 6th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

If I saw a kid with a truly horrible name, I would judge the parents...not the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfmama View Post
    I am just curious how one could take children with names like Joseph, Elizabeth, Matthew, Carrie, David, Sarah, Katie, and Thomas, and judge them? Honestly, what in the world could you say about them that wouldn't be a complete guess?
    I've never met a single Jewish Thomas, and I don't think any black ones either, probably because Tom is so loaded. I don't consider that a name without background? Definitely not as multicultural as Joseph.

I've never met a Carrie under 30, though an endless number of Cassies, Callies, Kaylees, and Katies.

I'd also guess that a family with a tiny David is probably fairly conservative, either naming after a male ancestor or really liking Biblical names and not even the currently fashionable ones. Probably don't have another kid named Zayden.

I don't mean any of this to sound mean. I don't dislike these names. But even "normal" names do say somethng, even if its less of a strident statement than "out there" names.

No. Children don't name themselves.
    Emily, 18, Southeastern US.
    College student and avid name nerd.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine