Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrd View Post
    If your last name starts with 'H', I'd go for a first name that doesn't. My first and last name both start w/R. It makes me feel like a cartoon character--like Richie Rich or Mighty Mouse or Ronald Reagan (no offense to Reaganites). My parents were still teens when I was born...I'm not sure people under 20 should be permitted to name children (except for those thoughtful enough to be researching names on Nameberry!).
    That's my fear! I love alliteration but I think there is a fine line and I wasn't sure if Hazel Hand crossed that line...

I also agree Noora about the L's ...lily is our "one that got away" with baby 2 so I've been trying to find the perfect first name for it, but it's hard! Hazel Suzette is quite adorable though! I love -ette names!

I love Hazel Monroe... we are thinking about using this combination if it's a girl!

Hazel Monroe is lovely
    I have to say I am slightly envious of people who don't have my same surname issue! I think I may have to let go of Hazel:/
    Thanks for the reply

I love Hazel! I recently let it go from my list--mainly because I just love too many names right now, not because anything's wrong with Hazel. Besides, I don't feel like my list is terribly vintage--although I suppose it could be--and Hazel almost felt like too much vintage next to Isabelle, Arianne, Olivia, Violet, Rachel, Charlotte, Hannah, etc. At the same time, I miss it--Hazel's so gorgeous! How close to "hand" is your surname? Like, if it's Hazel Hands, or even Hazel Hinds, I would probably reconsider. But Hazel Hann? I think that's fine. If it sounds the same as Hand, but is spelled different, like Hazel Hande, that might be a no, as well. I think alliteration is fine, but if it is sounding cartoonish because it's descriptive, then that's when I would probably say no.

I like alliteration--my dad and all my siblings have it (FN/LN), not to mention my dad and aunt both had "J" names, and that aunt married a guy with a "J" name, and they had six "J"s. I'm surrounded by alliteration, and I think in certain cases it can really work (and it doesn't have to start a pattern). I think something like Hazel Hann would be adorable. But when it starts to sound like someone's hand is colored hazel, that's where it becomes cheesy and unusable, imo.

Good luck!

see you sort of hit the nail on the head....it is very very similar to Hand and so Hazel does sort of sound descriptive:/ I've actually gone through so many names thinking that its the "one" and then realizing it will sound awful with our last name (Violet, Eden, Liliana) ...and then wondering if I should just go with it anyway! Such a beautiful name! I agree that Hazel is vintage, but I find that I'm really drawn to names that are nature-y, somewhat underused, yet familiar, easy to spell and pronounce, and has a sort of whimsical feel...ah, oh well. Back to the drawing board
    I LOVE your list! My daughter has a middle name from your list and I adore Charlotte!
    Thanks for the feedback!