Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    The only reason they trend is because people see them on the ticker, think to themselves, "no way", click on the name, and woosh, the name starts trending. If the names were honestly trending, they'd be in the 'most popular' box for longer than a day.
    Yep this is why. I assume most people are just thinking 'who in the world would name their kid Banana' and click on the name to find out.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfmama View Post
    I was wondering about Bloodrayne myself? I thought I was missing something?
    Bloodrayne is a name that has been on the name cloud for awhile, probably the most of the more unusual names.
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett

Yep, PPs have explained why. But it saddens me that ridiculous (Bloodrayne, Banana), made up (Jazzlyn) and old shorthand (Wm, Thos, Chas) names have made it into the NB database when there are many other names, usually ethnic (Welsh, Scottish, Cornish, Turkish etc), which are actually given to hundreds of children and they don't get a look in. This is why BtN is usually my go-to for names and name meanings :/

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    Yep, PPs have explained why. But it saddens me that ridiculous (Bloodrayne, Banana), made up (Jazzlyn) and old shorthand (Wm, Thos, Chas) names have made it into the NB database when there are many other names, usually ethnic (Welsh, Scottish, Cornish, Turkish etc), which are actually given to hundreds of children and they don't get a look in. This is why BtN is usually my go-to for names and name meanings :/
    I agree with this; lots of names are missing from the NB database, though I presume it's because NB aims to be a pop-culture force rather than a serious research source. Still, it's sad because they have a great opportunity to showcase unknown gems and help expand the knowledge base among less involved name seekers. Besides BtN, babynamespedia is pretty great for searching out related variations of names (not always easy to find at BtN).