Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I saw the youtube clip and I think that lady made a fool of herself with those extreme statements.

If I heard of a child whose name was made up of some tryndy, nonsense spelling I would be mad at the mother for putting that burden on her child.
    Psalm 23

If we were all judged by the actions of our parents I would be held to account for my parents once collecting me from school in matching bright yellow track suits. Having survived that horror I would never judge someone else by their name.

I do however always feel predisposed to like new children's parents if the child has a great name!
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.

Judgy Wudgy Doo Dah

Trying to decide who your child plays with at all is a weird thing to try and do, let alone based on their name!

However, I do judge kids a little bit based on their names. I am a school teacher, and it is common for us to have associations (+ and -) with certain names based on our experiences. For that reason, I could never name a child Matthew, and Anthony's are always worth getting to know.

There are certain names I don't like but I would never stop my child playing with another child because I don't like their name. There are certain names I do have preconceived judgements about, but that's usually from experience - I have had issues with girls named Kayleigh and Chantelle in the past, for example, and I do have a bad internal reaction to these names when I hear them, but that's because the name reminds me of the person. I grew up associating with a mixture of people - I went to school with people named Eleanor, Victoria, Michael and Anthony, very classic names, but also names that are seen as a bit chavvy/common in my area - Taylor, Connor, Liam, for example - as well as names from different cultures and backgrounds. I don't see how segregating her children's friends is going to help them later in life when they will be forced to mix and work alongside people with names like Kylie, Brandon and Paris.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Yeah, there are names that'll I'll be prejudiced against before meeting a kid because, in my experience, nearly all the people I've previously come across with that name are not nice. Tyler, Mackenzie, Charleigh & Chelsea are prime examples. I'd also be judging the parent's taste. But it goes no further than that little internal-head-converation. If future kiddo wants to have Chelsea as a best friend- absolutely fine. If Chelsea tries to induct my kiddo into a ring of crack whores- not fine.
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon