Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Auden best for a boy or girl?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boy

40 80.00%
  • Girl

10 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Auden - Boy or Girl?

Please make your choice in the poll whether you prefer Auden for a girl or a boy. Nameberry lists it as English, meaning "old friend."

Please also let me know in the comments whether you like the name or not, thanks!
    ~ Mommy to Callum Rhys and Jack William ~

Girls: Eleanor, Meara, Louisa, Jane, Sylvie, Iris
    Boys: Edmund, Leland, Rowan, Beckett, Samuel

Boy.

I think immediately of WH Auden and I generally assume surnames-as-first-names are male, perhaps because of the tradition of giving boys their mother's maiden name?
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.

Boy!

I agree with norbury… unless there's some unusual circumstance, surnames go to the boys. This would make a particularly soft, lovely, sophisticated choice for a boy. I like it a lot, especially if you're a W.H. Auden fan.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin

I lean toward boy, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it on a girl. Surnames work for either sex, IMO.

Auden isn't one of my favorites, and I'm sure it's my grandpa's fault. He used to call anyone he found peculiar an "odd'n," and unfortunately that's what comes to mind when I hear/see Auden--the odd one.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra

I lean toward boy, but could easily see it on a girl. Especially with it's similarity in sound to Autumn
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot