Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alternative spelling too weird?

My husband and I both like the name Barrett but we think it would be really cute to have him go by the nickname "Bear." So our question is would it be too weird to spell Barrett, Baerett instead? Do you think people could pronounce it if they just saw the name and had never heard it? Then we might have him go by Baer, which is the German way to spell bear, I believe. Middle name is going to be Walter after my grandpa.

Yes, it's too weird. The sound Bear is at the beginning of Barrett, you don't need the exact spelling in the name to have it be the nickname.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    Yes, it's too weird. The sound Bear is at the beginning of Barrett, you don't need the exact spelling in the name to have it be the nickname.
    Eh? BAH-ret. No? Where's Bear?
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Yep, it's odd. I would be tempted to pronounce Baerett as bay-rett or bay-er-ett, nothing like Barrett (might be my accent though- in most English accents there is no 'bear' sound at the beginning of Barrett anyway). It's unnecessary to butcher the spelling- like scarletrune said, leave the spelling and just use Bear as a nickname.
    Last edited by charlieandperry1; July 9th, 2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: wording

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Eh? BAH-ret. No? Where's Bear?
    Listen to the pronunciations on forvo, specifically the "Syd Barrett" and "Neil Barrett" ones. Here, we pronounce it bare-it. In my accent bare is the same as bear and rhymes with care or fair/fare.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly