Names Searched Right Now:

Short forms for Gwyneth

Hi everyone!
    I'm due with my first baby in 2 months and it's a girl! I think picking a name has been the hardest part so far!!!
    My husband and I are pretty set on Gwyneth and I like this spelling. However, we are not sure what to use as a nickname or short form.
    There's Gwen or Gwyn? Gwynnie or Gwennie? Or even Wynnie?
    Does it make sense to call her Gwynnie but pronounce it as "Gwennie"? Is that even a "true" (as in commonly used) nickname for Gwyneth?
    Any advice or opinions would help!
    Thanks so much!
    Last edited by hugoruby; July 5th, 2013 at 01:09 PM.

I know a 4 or 5 year old girl named Gwyneth whose family exclusively calls her Gwynnie, rhymes with Winnie. But I think Wynnie (my favorite) or Gwyn/Gwen would all work, and Gwennie makes sense too! You have lots of nickname options and one of them you might gravitate toward naturally once she gets here and it might not even be related to her name! My cousin recently had a baby named Kora, and most of the time we call her Peanut or Baby Bop. Good luck!
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k m

Florence Beatrix Guinevere Helena Vivian
    August Barnaby Roland Whitney Atlas

My current top choice if we have another girl is also Gwyneth! It's sophisticated yet spunky. I asked this question a few days ago. I love this traditional spelling, but I personally prefer Gwen as a nickname. I think what it comes down to is whatever you end up preferring. Some people responded with being sticklers that "Gwen" is ONLY an acceptable nickname for Gwendolyn/Gwendolen and "Gwyn" should be used for Gwyneth. However, MOST people said "Gwen" can work for Gwyneth just fine. I'm not sure where you're from, but being from the US, I've NEVER come across someone nicknamed Gwyn/Gwynnie; they've all been Gwen/Gwennie. Also, when I hear people refer to actress Gwyneth Paltrow, it's always been pronounced like Gweneth. Maybe it's the American accent and in other countries, they pronounce it "correctly," but I don't know.

I'm big on the "original" and "correct" way to pronounce and spell names, but in this case, I really think it's an anything goes type of situation.
    Mama to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Dex). Griffin (Finn). Ewan. Graham. John. Wesley (Wes). Reid. Jude. Ronan. Samuel (Sam). Gus.

Gwyneth (Gwen). Elise. Bronwen (Bonnie). Rosanna (Zanna). Ivy. Margo. Sylvie. Iris. Esme. Annamarie (Anna or Marie). Greta.