Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    To be honest, I think the pronunciation you want will be difficult to enforce in the US. I don't think it sounds silly or too rhymey either way.
    This. Madeleine (or any other spelling) will be mad-uh-line or mad-uh-line.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    To be honest, I think the pronunciation you want will be difficult to enforce in the US. I don't think it sounds silly or too rhymey either way.
    I agree. I love Madeleine (in French, MAD-eh-len or, actually, closer to MAD-len, with the middle syllable almost completely unheard), and I think it'd be really hard to get 'lun' at the end instead of lin or len. Most people, when I ask them how they'd pronounce Madeleine, it's never what I would assume. It seems straightforward to me, but most people would say it like Mad-eh-line, not mad-eh-len, so I think the pronunciation, could give you quite a headache. I love Madeleine, though, and I don't really find Madeleine Hutchinson to be too rhymey. It's a beautiful name.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Nope, doesn't sound stupid. The combo is slightly on the rhyming side, but really it's fine. If it doesn't bother you, it isn't going to bother anyone else. I'm confused about the spelling and pronunciation...you want "lun" not "lin"?

I don't think it sounds stupid. But I don't think your pronunciation makes sense at all. How could "leine" ever be pronounced "lun"? There's nothing in there to make the U sound. Mad-eh-len or Mad-len would be closer to the actual French pronunciation. If you pronounce it correctly, it won't rhyme. Problem solved!