Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gavin

Do you expect to be working with this coworker forever? Do you live in the same town/neighborhood? Would your children go to school together?

I wouldn't give up my favorite name because someone who may be very transient in my life chose the same name.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

Ugh, that's the worst when someone you know uses your favorite name, especially when they choose a horrific spelling! People that say, "Who cares? If you love it, use it anyway!" kill me. A friend of mine named her son Maddax nn Dax (ew, I know). I'm pretty close with her and live near her. My husband and I had been set on Declan for a few years now, using the nickname Dex. Now I'm really torn on what to do since Dax and Dex are so close...

Anyway, I would suggest:

Declan
    Owen
    Ewan
    Ian
    Finn or Griffin nn Finn
    Ronan
    Simon
    Landon
    Graham

Just a word of advice: Check on the social security website for your state's top names. While I thought a lot of my favorite names weren't very popular, there were quite a few born in my particular state in 2012... :/
    Mama to Nora.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Dex). Griffin (Finn). Ewan. Graham. August (Gus). Colin. Ian. Wesley (Wes). Cyrus. Leland (Lee). Rufus.

Gwyneth (Gwen). Elise. Bronwen (Bonnie). Zoe. Edith (Edie). Piper. Ivy. Josephine (Josie). Margot. Carys. Sylvie. Eve. Iris. Esme. Phoebe (Bee). Kaia.

Quote Originally Posted by paw View Post
    Do you expect to be working with this coworker forever? Do you live in the same town/neighborhood? Would your children go to school together?

I wouldn't give up my favorite name because someone who may be very transient in my life chose the same name.
    All very good points, thank you. We don't live in the same town. However, I wouldn't use the name if we still worked together at the time. So I guess I just won't know until I have a son! Keeping it on the list then
    Girls: Cordelia, Phoebe, Rose

Boys: Lucian, Alexander, Liam

Quote Originally Posted by sllah View Post
    Ugh, that's the worst when someone you know uses your favorite name, especially when they choose a horrific spelling! People that say, "Who cares? If you love it, use it anyway!" kill me. A friend of mine named her son Maddax nn Dax (ew, I know). I'm pretty close with her and live near her. My husband and I had been set on Declan for a few years now, using the nickname Dex. Now I'm really torn on what to do since Dax and Dex are so close...

Anyway, I would suggest:

Declan
    Owen
    Ewan
    Ian
    Finn or Griffin nn Finn
    Ronan
    Simon
    Landon
    Graham

Just a word of advice: Check on the social security website for your state's top names. While I thought a lot of my favorite names weren't very popular, there were quite a few born in my particular state in 2012... :/
    That sucks, I'm sorry! Would you consider using Dec/Deck as a nn instead? It's not as close. Good luck with that!

Thanks for your suggestions. I like Owen, Ian, Finn, and Simon.
    Girls: Cordelia, Phoebe, Rose

Boys: Lucian, Alexander, Liam