Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    First off, I love your names, especially Avril.Adeline is really pretty and if you want to get past the madeline thing, what about Adele or Adelaide? My names are Penelope (probably because of the girl with the pig nose association) and Bellatrix, probably because of the Harry Potter association but I think it's so much cooler than Beatrix plus the nickname Bella is awesome. Also Lyra, most people prefer Lila/Layla/Lola.

Pretty much all of my favorites. The main ones:
    Tallulah: people have an irrational hatred of this name. They can't explain why but the just really dislike it
    Fox (girl): all I ever hear is 'she'll get foxy jokes'. And? Having a name associated with being attractive a bad thing? Plus, this isn't the 1970s. Fox/foxy is not a part of the day-to-day vocabulary
    Quote Originally Posted by yolo199 View Post
    Avril (French word for April. The Avril Lavigne association does not bother me at all (would you hate me if I considered it a plus?) but not many people like it. Trust me, I understand if you don't.)
    I recently met a woman (40ish) named Avril. I never disliked the name but my impression has improved since meeting a professional adult with it

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Arden
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Blaise * Linden

I also like Avril. As for names that I like but most people hate--oh there are so many!

Eira (LOVE LOVE LOVE listen to it pronounced in Welsh)
    Arwen and Eirwen
    Maiwenn
    Reeve
    Sabre
    Thane
    Thrace
    Tirion
    Cyan (actually DH loves that one)
    Indigo for a BOY
    Draven

Generally I find names along these lines that I like, then poll them and they rarely get a positive response...also DH vetoes a lot and keeps me from going very unique or using alternative spellings that I think are cool. Our most likely girl possibility now is Mira, although left to my own devices it would be Meara
    Last edited by iamamiam; July 6th, 2013 at 03:09 PM.

My mother literally wrinkled her nose at Hugo, and I also get the same reactions to Milo (so sweet!). For the girls, it's Matilda (so lovely!) and even Lilia. My family is so unimaginative.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin

Matilda-It's too clunky/old lady.
    Olive- It's a food/ugly color/Olive Oyl/not as pretty as Olivia.
    Lux-I'd only ever use this a middle name, but the general reaction is soap brand/trashy.
    Arwen/Leia-Again, I'd only ever use the names as middles, but people say that they're too nerdy.
    Imogen-a British name that hasn't crossed over to the US. Most people I meet haven't heard of the name so they have a negative reaction.
    Last edited by susan.n; July 7th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Only 19 but a name lover!

Favorites:
    Girls:
    Top Five:Charlotte Belle,Emilia Alice,Clara Eve,Norah Lucille,and Adelaide/Adeline Pearl
    Other Favorites:Violet Isabelle,Lucy Arwen, Lila Josephine, Olive Beatrix,Amelie Sophia, Audrey Catherine,Louisa Caroline,Eliza Maeve,and Matilda Sophie
    Boys:
    Henry Caspian, Rory Philip,Asher Flynn, Jack Elias, and Gideon James