Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I think most of us would be lying to say that you don't form some sort of quick judgement when you hear certain names...but to carry it so far as to imply that all Tylers are bad, or charmaines are trash, is just ignorant. To not let her children not play with those children based on their names is almost abusive
    Natacha - mother to Geneva Simone and Marlena Carys
    a site that surveys people with the same name.

Current Favs:
    Boys: Archer Sloan or Merrick
    Girls: Indira Maren or Sloan

@ottilie - I agree with your points.

Of course we shouldn't judge people (especially children) by their names. However, we all do it. Picture little Chardonnay or Nevaeh. What background would you assume they're from? Certain names are given by people of certain classes and there's some truth in her argument. She wants her children to play with "nice" children. However, it's an extremely prejudiced way of discerning which children are "nice". I can understand wanting your children to have friends who have good manners, do their homework, etc. But making a blanket judgement that all children named Tyler (for example) are "bad" isn't doing her or her children any favours. For me, the kicker was her dislike of place names...then admitting her daughter is called India. Silly woman.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Ergh... Just another argument about class (even though the topic is names).

This kind of reminds me of the Catherine Tate skits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUNssEtAwr8
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair

I just have to defend her a little bit in regards of India. Here in England it's got a solid history of usage, and when I hear India I don't think "place name" like I would if I heard Brooklyn, Ireland or other names like that. I get that it must sound ridiculous to people not from here, and obviously her making that comment was quite stupid, but I understand what she's saying. It's not a chav name.

Oh, and Sarah & Scarlet; glad I'm not alone...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer94 View Post
    I find this very interesting because I am from the United States. Where I live, names like Tyler and Brandon are thought to be normal and acceptable names. Poppy and India would stand out much more here, not to say that they are not nice names.

I find it sad that someone would judge anyone, never mind children, just because of their name. When her children get older, I think she will be in for a rude awakening when they start to choose their own friends. Wouldn't it be comical if little Poppy grew up and wanted to marry a Tyler?
    Yes, exactly!
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Caroline Grace & James Frederick