Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Well, I'm probably too lowborn for someone like her. But, as we say around these parts: "An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure."
    Current Favorites

Girls: Susannah, Mahalia, Tosca, Cassia, Jerusha, Jewel, Rose, Dove, Kate, and Eve
    Boys: Gideon, Gabriel, Rafael, Dominic, Benedict, Sam, Desmond, Theodore, Tobias, and Sebastian
    Guilty Pleasures: Aurelia, Cosima, Eowyn, Neytiri, Rukia / Remy, Gryffin, Gareth, Eddard, and Judah

It is cruel to judge anyone, child or adult based on their name and not their actions. However, people are excellent at noticing patterns and certain names and behaviors frequently come out of certain social classes. Having said that, I still think Katie Hopkins and people like her take it too far. It's an obnoxious and small picture way of seeing things.

A little off topic but I'm fascinated by English culture, I love it. It may sound strange to you if you're from England or the UK, but I am absolutely fascinated. From the view point of an American, the class system seems so segmented and defined with very specific actions attached to each one. I've read recently that there are seven social classes? I've heard several people from the UK mention parents that yell out the names of their children, and that it's considered chavy. Does this really happen that often? Chavy people hanging outside their windows screaming, "Chaaardonnaaay". Yelling and being loud in general is considered rude most likely anywhere in the world but the whole 'chavs yelling out their kids names and the decent being annoyed by it' is just one of those very English things Americans love to hear about.

As another poster said, Tyler and Brandon are not considered low class here, they are considered very middle class but really someone from any class could be named Tyler or Brandon and nothing would be thought of it. I'd love to know what other names are considered low class in the UK that aren't here.
    Last edited by ursa_minor; July 6th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
    Esmeralda | Marceline | Enid | Rosalind | Floralba
    Evander | Atlas | Cassius | Lorcan

I am an American elementary teacher and I have NEVER judged a child based on his/her name. The idea is absurd. We could learn a lot from our young children. I have never seen kids refuse to play with each other based on their peers' names. They tend to have purer hearts when it comes to accepting others. They are not concerned about race, religion, politics or even name origin!

Quote Originally Posted by ursa_minor View Post
    I was about to post a thread on this before I found this one. I'm fascinated by English culture, I love it. It may sound strange to you if you're from England or the UK, but I am absolutely fascinated. From the view point of an American, the class system seems so segmented and defined with very specific actions attached to each one. I've read recently that there are seven social classes? I've heard several people from the UK mention parents that yell out the names of their children, and that it's considered chavy. Does this really happen that often? Chavy people hanging outside their windows screaming, "Chaaardonnaaay". Yelling and being loud in general is considered rude most likely anywhere in the world but the whole 'chavs yelling out their kids names and the decent being annoyed by it' is just one of those very English things Americans love to hear about.

As another poster said, Tyler and Brandon are not considered low class here, they are considered very middle class but really someone from any class could be named Tyler or Brandon and nothing would be thought of it. I'd love to know what other names are considered low class in the UK that aren't here.

I'm facinated by how Americans still think we're so defined by a class system There are still a few Victorian "Yahhhs we're sooooo upper clarssss" left-over people, but class really isn't that important, at least not in my life/where I live. It's more to do with how much you earn these days. And I don't get the shouting thing. I wouldn't say yelling your kid's name is chavvy- everyone does it at some point! You're just as likely to hear "Oscar! Amelia! Come here AT ONCE!" as you are to hear "Mason! Tyler! COME HERE!" And even then, it's not that often. We're not all standing at the school gates shouting our kids' names If anything, the 'chavvy' parents aren't shouting anything because they tend not to yell at/punish their kids or do much parenting at all.

As for other names, I took a quick look through the England & Wales top names for 2011 and took the ones that I more commonly see/hear on chavvy people/chavvy people's children. Doesn't mean I don't like these names, doesn't mean they can't be perfectly nice people and it doesn't mean they can't be 'upper class' people! And I don't mean to offend anyone! -

Boys: Riley, Tyler, Jayden, Mason, Jordan, Jackson, Harley, Hayden, Ashton, Bailey, Kayden, Taylor, Brandon, Kaiden, Marley, Jaiden, Mckenzie, Preston, Aston, Casey, Brooklyn, Cooper, Preston, Kyle, Kye

Girls: Maisie, Erin, Lacey, Lexi, Paige, Madison, Keira, Nicole, Nevaeh, Courtney, Macey, Destiny, Peyton, Chantelle, Jade, Danielle, Kayleigh, Chelsea

Here's a related article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-teachers.html

I know it's the Mail and I know it's dated, but this is interesting:
    The row follows Government research suggesting pupils' names are linked to differing success rates in exams. Children with middle-class names such as Katharine and Duncan were up to eight times more likely to pass their GCSEs than Waynes and Dwaines. Girls called Katharine were found to have gained the best results with Madeleines coming second.
    I'd love to see more stats about that.
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

This just made me laugh. I love how hypocritical she is - very silly women.

[Q]The row follows Government research suggesting pupils' names are linked to differing success rates in exams. Children with middle-class names such as Katharine and Duncan were up to eight times more likely to pass their GCSEs than Waynes and Dwaines. Girls called Katharine were found to have gained the best results with Madeleines coming second. [/Q]

I read about a similar study that was done in the US a few years ago, 5 maybe?. (Sorry I can't link to it I can't remember what it was called to save my life...) It stipulated that children with yoonik spellings and made up names were more likely to be teen parents and/or have problematic educational and legal records. The study however, was a more balanced, suggesting that many of these names were given to children by a sub-group of parents that hit 2 or 3 of the poor/single/teen parent trifecta. The name itself had nothing to do with the kids eventual success but that fact that these parents often have less time and energy to spend (and sometimes less educational know how) to help their children through school. Often because they might be working multiple jobs or have dropped out of school early themselves. The way this linked back to names was that it's easier for one person to decide on a name like Reneesme than to convince your spouse to agree upon it as well. (Man I really need to stop bashing poor little Reneesme.) Overall it suggested that using names as indicators for potential familial situations could help educators realize which kids might need more TLC because they might not be getting it at home. (I hated the idea that it stereotyped kids by names but kinda liked that it suggested this as a positive means instead of a "righting everyone-off" sort of thing.) -> If I run across the article again I'll be back to cite it.
    Last edited by lexiem; July 6th, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)