Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    She was quite horrid, but I agree with her to a certain degree. It's always the same kinds of names being yelled out like that, so you know (most) children with those names will have rude parents, and will probably be lacking in the manner and behaviour department. You never hear mums scream out Poppy, Florence or Reuben. I'd be rather less excited about play dates and budding friendships with little Chardonnay, but of course I wouldn't prevent it. I'd just rather they make friends with mums with better taste that's all. Someone who wouldn't name their child after wine. But I guess that's also for my own sake, I'd prefer parents I could actually enjoy being around.

That said, lady is crazy. And I adore Holly.
    Crazy indeed.

Not quite sure what you mean by names "being yelled out like that"--does this refer to accent, intonation, or . . . .? For what reason might these names be yelled out and what is the mother trying to communicate? (Yes, I did watch the video. I'd never heard of that Katie Hopkins woman before, and she is perfectly appalling.)

I really really resist the notion that one's manners and certainly one's basic goodness are determined by one's class background, and my husband and I encourage our daughter to be friends with any kind and kindred-spirited child from whatever background. I don't mean to sound naive--I notice difference as much as anyone and of course differences in class/education can manifest in one's child's behavior, but if given the choice, I'd prefer my girl befriend some nice working class kid (for example) than some little elitist snob with Katie Hopkinsesque attitudes. (Not that these are the only two categories of children, but in my mind that snobbery and its behavioral antecedents are a much more toxic influence than resistance to doing one's homework or whatever Katie H is attributing to Tyler and Chardonnay.)

Also, Chardonnay is not to my taste either, but I further resist the idea that I cannot be friends with Chardonnay's mother because her taste differs from mine and, more to the point, because her class background is (or may be) different. Again, this may sound naive and idealistic, but in my experience, the Chardonnays and their moms can be just lovely, while Juliet and her mom are not necessarily so . . . .

By the way, I'm American. And a social worker .

Wow. I won't pretend like I don't judge a parent based on their name choices, but I'm mostly judging their taste. Even if I can usually assess their class from the name (which can be sketchy - what if Tyler is actually a family surname?), I've never found class to be a good indicator of what type of person someone is. I grew up working class, and most of my school friends, with totally class-typical names, have grown up to graduate college, have successful careers, and just generally be good people who have good manners and care about others. This woman is telling her kids that these other children with chav names are *not good enough* do be friends with them. Sounds like great preparation for a life of walking all over people less fortunate than they are.

As someone who has extensive experience in retail, including high end electronics, I can assure you that well named kids are just as likely to have extremely rude parents, and are just as likely to be horribly behaved in public. No, their parents don't scream and yell like a lower class parent might, but that's mostly because the bad ones just let their kids wreak havoc with very little correction. The work that other people have to do to clean up after them doesn't matter. At least the working class moms usually apologize, instead of smiling at me and saying "Job security, eh?" I'm not saying that there are more rude upper class/educated people, but I've certainly not noticed them to be less so than working class. It just manifests itself differently.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    Wow. I won't pretend like I don't judge a parent based on their name choices, but I'm mostly judging their taste. Even if I can usually assess their class from the name (which can be sketchy - what if Tyler is actually a family surname?), I've never found class to be a good indicator of what type of person someone is. I grew up working class, and most of my school friends, with totally class-typical names, have grown up to graduate college, have successful careers, and just generally be good people who have good manners and care about others. This woman is telling her kids that these other children with chav names are *not good enough* do be friends with them. Sounds like great preparation for a life of walking all over people less fortunate than they are.

As someone who has extensive experience in retail, including high end electronics, I can assure you that well named kids are just as likely to have extremely rude parents, and are just as likely to be horribly behaved in public. No, their parents don't scream and yell like a lower class parent might, but that's mostly because the bad ones just let their kids wreak havoc with very little correction. The work that other people have to do to clean up after them doesn't matter. At least the working class moms usually apologize, instead of smiling at me and saying "Job security, eh?" I'm not saying that there are more rude upper class/educated people, but I've certainly not noticed them to be less so than working class. It just manifests itself differently.
    Yes! All nicely said.

There was a boy named Tyler in my grade at school. He's off to Harvard. So yep, he's one to avoid his homework and stuff!
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College freshman.

Proud auntie to Lucy Helen and Theodore Levi

~ Eliza Constance ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Nora Josephine ~ Pearl Violet ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~ Tess Christabel ~
    ~ Gabriel Walter ~ James Benedict ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~ Timothy Jack ~

She is a horrid person. I have to say though, that I would judge the parents of a child named Chardonnay or Charmaine at least a little bit. I would let my kids hang out with whoever they want, barring some evidence of bad behavior, but I would snicker a little every time I heard their names.

That said, some of the worst children I have ever encountered have belonged to upper-class parents, and their names certainly had nothing to do with it. I'll take a well-behaved, working class Tyler (even with a cringe over his name) over a snobby, pain in the butt India any day.
    Last edited by alphabetdem; July 5th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin