Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Wow. I won't pretend like I don't judge a parent based on their name choices, but I'm mostly judging their taste. Even if I can usually assess their class from the name (which can be sketchy - what if Tyler is actually a family surname?), I've never found class to be a good indicator of what type of person someone is. I grew up working class, and most of my school friends, with totally class-typical names, have grown up to graduate college, have successful careers, and just generally be good people who have good manners and care about others. This woman is telling her kids that these other children with chav names are *not good enough* do be friends with them. Sounds like great preparation for a life of walking all over people less fortunate than they are.

As someone who has extensive experience in retail, including high end electronics, I can assure you that well named kids are just as likely to have extremely rude parents, and are just as likely to be horribly behaved in public. No, their parents don't scream and yell like a lower class parent might, but that's mostly because the bad ones just let their kids wreak havoc with very little correction. The work that other people have to do to clean up after them doesn't matter. At least the working class moms usually apologize, instead of smiling at me and saying "Job security, eh?" I'm not saying that there are more rude upper class/educated people, but I've certainly not noticed them to be less so than working class. It just manifests itself differently.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    Wow. I won't pretend like I don't judge a parent based on their name choices, but I'm mostly judging their taste. Even if I can usually assess their class from the name (which can be sketchy - what if Tyler is actually a family surname?), I've never found class to be a good indicator of what type of person someone is. I grew up working class, and most of my school friends, with totally class-typical names, have grown up to graduate college, have successful careers, and just generally be good people who have good manners and care about others. This woman is telling her kids that these other children with chav names are *not good enough* do be friends with them. Sounds like great preparation for a life of walking all over people less fortunate than they are.

As someone who has extensive experience in retail, including high end electronics, I can assure you that well named kids are just as likely to have extremely rude parents, and are just as likely to be horribly behaved in public. No, their parents don't scream and yell like a lower class parent might, but that's mostly because the bad ones just let their kids wreak havoc with very little correction. The work that other people have to do to clean up after them doesn't matter. At least the working class moms usually apologize, instead of smiling at me and saying "Job security, eh?" I'm not saying that there are more rude upper class/educated people, but I've certainly not noticed them to be less so than working class. It just manifests itself differently.
    Yes! All nicely said.

There was a boy named Tyler in my grade at school. He's off to Harvard. So yep, he's one to avoid his homework and stuff!
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College sophomore.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

She is a horrid person. I have to say though, that I would judge the parents of a child named Chardonnay or Charmaine at least a little bit. I would let my kids hang out with whoever they want, barring some evidence of bad behavior, but I would snicker a little every time I heard their names.

That said, some of the worst children I have ever encountered have belonged to upper-class parents, and their names certainly had nothing to do with it. I'll take a well-behaved, working class Tyler (even with a cringe over his name) over a snobby, pain in the butt India any day.
    Last edited by alphabetdem; July 5th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin

Hilary; When I said "yelled out like that" I meant the way Katie did in the segment. You said you'd watched it, so you should know. It's the mums (and dads) who don't bother getting up off their arse to talk to or discipline their children, instead they yell to catch their attention.

I would also like to say, I did not say anything against the working class. I have working class friends! They haven't got chav names though. Chav doesn't mean working class. But I would be incredibly surprised if Chardonnay, Charmaine or Chantel's mums were intelligent and enjoyable people. But that doesn't mean little Charmaine won't be a lovely and intelligent person.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]