Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aurelia?

Aurelia?

It's become my newest pursuit in life to find Roman baby names for girls that DBF and I can agree on. I've posted about this before, but he LOVE LOVE LOVES the name Helen, and it's just not really my style. We both like the idea of giving our children names that relate to ancient Rome (I'm Italian, he's a Latin teacher), so since it's one thing we agree on, I'm going with it.

One name we both love is Lavinia, but I recent came across Aurelia. What do you berries think? I kind of like it, but I'm worried it might be mispronounced. We live in the midwestern U.S. (Ohio) and I've never heard this name on anyone before.
    Girls: Filomena, Silvia, Clara
    Boys: Atticus, Leo, Wyatt

I love Aurelia! I think it is a stunning name and has a romantic feel. I am from New York and still have never heard that name on anyone. Plus I may be a little biased because Aurelius and Aurelio are on our boys list. But I almost feel like I would mis-pronounce Lavinia more than Aurelia. I am not sure if I am even saying Lavinia right. And she has cute nick name potential as well. If you are into nicknames.
    TTC Baby #1!

I love it. I always say that mispronouncation is inevitable, don't let worries about that put you off. People mispronounce my name sometimes despite it being one of the easiest to say correctly.
    Current favourite girls names: Verity, Eden, Cliora, Antonia, Morwen, Catriona, Dervla, Colette, Sorcha, Tahlia, Lucina, Vita (as name or short for Victoria), Zabet (as name or short for Elizabeth), Nina, Kylara, Zelda, Sabine, Eliska, Zelina

Check out my fantasy/sci-fi girls names list, you'll be surprised how 'normal' they can be! http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/29858

Aurelia and Lavinia are two of my favourite names from Ancient Rome. I wouldn't worry too much about pronunciation of either name. If names are uncommon, there are bound to be mispronunciations along the way. Even common names can be misspelled or mispronounced so I wouldn't let it trouble you. These two names would be worth it. They have beauty, history and depth. Since you're not crazy about Helen, would you consider Helena or Elena as alternatives?
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Oh, Aurelia (which I say like awe-RAY-lee-uh) and Lavinia (lav-IN-ya) are incredibly beautiful. What about something like Junia or Albia? Here are some from the Nameberry list (sorry if you've already perused it):

Antonia
    Augusta
    Cecilia
    Claudia
    Dulcia
    Fabia
    Faustina
    Hestia
    Livia
    Marilla
    Marcella (love this one, although I think I'm saying it wrong - like mahr-CHELL-uh)
    Octavia
    Tullia

Hope something appealed to you there - sorry again if you have read the list before! Good luck.