Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names ruined by spouses/family members?

Sometimes when I share a new name I've found with my husband, he immediately (usually unintentionally) ruins it for me. For example, when I told him I liked the name Duncan, he said, "Like Duncan Hines?" When I mentioned Greer, he said kids in high school would call him "Greer the [derogatory name that rhymes with Greer]." Or when I asked him how he felt about the name Maeve, he told me he thought it sounded like the name of a witch, and now that's all I can think of when I hear the name.

Anybody else have similar problems??

Oh my gosh, my husband does that all the time! I keep telling him we'll never find a name that's not associated with anybody! I'm loving Miranda at the moment, but he thinks it's too associated with the model Miranda Kerr. Family members haven't really "ruined" any of my favourite names, but my cousins have used names I'd have otherwise had on my list, such as:

Alexa (means Alexandra is definitely out)
    Alison (means Alice is likely out)
    Angus
    Anna
    Beatrice
    Elsa

I'm particularly bummed about Beatrice. Beatrix is also unlikely now because it's so similar.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I don't think Miranda is too associated with Miranda Kerr, although guys would probably associate it more often than females haha.

My sister and all of my friends have very different naming styles than I do, and my cousins are all either way older or way younger, so I guess I'm lucky!

I think that you could totally still use Alexandra, Alice, or Beatrix as middles! My husband has a nephew named Owen, but I was considering Eoin as a middle for a while, which I think would have been fine.

I love the name Amos but my partner ruined it for me when she thought I said, "anus" instead of Amos. Yikes.

alizarin: That's terrible, but I couldn't help giggling when I read it. It must be the high school boy in me :P