Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks dudettes!

Bonfire; thanks for your descriptions, lovely! Yeah, Hespera's back, if only for now... Thanks for taking the time sweetie.

Hannie; thanks for the comments, heart fluttered a lot...

Tct; Pomeline is gorgeous, but very harvest season to me. And I prefer Melpomene anyways

Gwen; I see, I think it's quite common to mispronounce it. Yes, it would rule out Orpheus, so I would probably save it for the last child (in case I didn't have an Orpheus already). I think I could do both Gwen and Winnie? The latter when she's little, and Gwen when she's older? By the way, can my daughter please be like you when she grows up? You rock!

Cheele; thanks! I don't think it's everyone style, but breaths of fresh air are always nice, no matter the style I think!

Sesshababy; But I love my little pony's! The cute ones from the 80's? I'm collecting them actually, as I don't want my children playing with awful modern MLPs. Husband is fickle, I'm wondering if he's got an undiasgnosed mood-disorder, he changes his mind a lot. He brought Iphigenia up, and I think it's cute. I'm thinking about Cleopatra. I like the sound, I just can't connect anything other than the awesomeness to her. The same goes for Zenobia, I can get some images, but no real feel, sound or taste. It confuses me... help? Thanks for all your comments, Pandora is my favourite at the moment. And Hespera, but I might just have to save her though... Morgana, I do love this so much, but for some reason I'm not feeling it at the moment. Maybe because it feels so October-Novermbery to me?

Celianne; oooh, Sparrow for Hespera! Intriguing... Thanks for your list, I do love Belphoebe so much too.

AiW; thanks for your top three, lovely choices, and your comments!

Svea; yay for Melpomene! I think it's so fun to say...

Bounce; Whoa, comments! I do agree with you about Andromeda and Estatira. I've actually never bought or looked at pomegranate juice (squeeze my own), so I don't know... Thanks for all the comments, so helpful!

Big blanket thanks to the rest, you're all lovely! And someone mentioned Happy as a nickname for Hespera, and I can't recall whether I responded or not. So, to the one who did that, thank you! I love it.

We're eliminating Estatira, Penelope, Iphigenia, Andromeda and Eurydice (for this one, maybe a not yet made child). I have some more thoughts, but I will update later or tomorrow.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Sesshababy; But I love my little pony's! The cute ones from the 80's? I'm collecting them actually, as I don't want my children playing with awful modern MLPs. Husband is fickle, I'm wondering if he's got an undiasgnosed mood-disorder, he changes his mind a lot. He brought Iphigenia up, and I think it's cute. I'm thinking about Cleopatra. I like the sound, I just can't connect anything other than the awesomeness to her. The same goes for Zenobia, I can get some images, but no real feel, sound or taste. It confuses me... help? Thanks for all your comments, Pandora is my favourite at the moment. And Hespera, but I might just have to save her though... Morgana, I do love this so much, but for some reason I'm not feeling it at the moment. Maybe because it feels so October-Novermbery to me?
    That show quietly horrifies me. Modern cartoons seem so sharp-edged and loud and hyperactive O.o I have friends who love the new MLP, but I just can't get on board, especially remembering the ones that were around when I was a kid! I colored every page in that coloring book with the utmost care, and I still have the little plastic figures with their curly manes and tails!

As for Cleo, she has a lot of depth and richness to me. A sole-ruling Pharaoh, she defied the tradition of female rulers being subordinate to their male counterparts. She took Julius Caesar and later Mark Antony as lovers, which was scandalous for the time. Powerful, regal, and sensual, her ability to do what she pleased despite the strict social mores of her day is kind of awe-inspiring. She was believed to be the reincarnation of Isis, so there is the mythological connection, and of course there's the Shakespearean link via Antony and Cleopatra. As for my personal imagery/associations: exotic, feline, sensual, silk and velvet, incense and rich wine. If she were an animal, she would be a tawny lioness. Her element, fire. Her personality, passionate, imperious but in a gracious way, shrewdly intelligent, vividly alive. Her colors, gold and merlot. She reminds me powerfully of an Anne Rice novel, with which I am thoroughly taken at the moment.

I've always had a very different feel for Zenobia than you have. I picture ebony skin and tangerine eyes, just as exotic as Cleo but in a more earthish way. Long-limbed and fierce with legs like a gazelle. I've looked up her history, and while she is impressive (a Warrior Queen who was an expert rider and could walk 3-4 miles with her foot soldiers), she doesn't speak to me the way Cleopatra does.

You've hit the nail on the head with Morgana! She's so perfectly Samhain! The witchy, dark, sultry vibe, all purple shadows and ravens' wings…she fits much better on an October/November child.

Panda, Cleo, and Belphoebe are my solid top three, I think. Winnie, if Cleo is off-limits.
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Juliet Snow ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River Seraphine ~ Elowen Briar

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

So, I haven't been on nameberry in a while, but I saw the change in your signature. I went back and caught up on the whole saga! Crazy amounts of congratulations in order for the birth of your little Roo (I like both permutations of her name!) as well as the coming of your second little. I probably won't be saying anything not already said, but you may add it to a tally of sorts!

-- Hespera - Espy seemed like the obvious choice, I know someone whose last name is Espinoza, so her nickname is Espy. It just seems so airy and sprite-like!
    -- Morgana - I like just Em/M!
    -- Estatira - similarly to Hespera, Esty seemed like the obvious choice. It is super cute!
    -- Eurydice - Cece would be adorable and also take out the element of "exotic-ness" that can seem unapproachable to some

-- Andromeda - quite cute, but I agree about the repeating initials. It might lock you into an A pattern, so it could be best to save it for later
    -- Belphoebe (Bee) - I like the nickname, but I worry about what someone's comment on the first page mentioned that with all the Bellas and the (not as common, but still familiar) Phoebes, that she might get lost, but I still like the name
    -- Circe - this doesn't have quite the same amount of drama as Aphrodite, and I do believe it has some negative connections. It's not my favorite of your fabulous list
    -- Estatira - this seems vaguely Italian for some reason, it is very pretty, and I love the nn Esty!
    -- Eurydice - I think some people might be ignorant of the pronunciation, but it is a pretty well-read story in mythology, so hopefully people will like it as much as me!
    -- Gwenllian (Gwen/Winnie) - love love love Winnie! This name is very girly, and I have never heard it before!
    -- Hespera - I love Vesper, but I also love this name. I am not quite sure whether it is HESS-per-uh or maybe hes-PAIR-uh though
    -- Iphigenia (Genie) - I think Idgie would also be super super cute. This one has a quality that I will be talking about a lot where it is unique but approachable/familiar-feeling
    -- Melpomene (Pom) - this sounds a bit like a medicine of some kind, and doesn't strike me as much as others on your list
    -- Morgana - Yes, Morgan is common, but just adding that a to the end gives it drama and a flair that Morgan doesn't have
    -- Pandora or Pandeia (Panda) - normally, I'm not a fan of Pandora because of the story behind the name, but it's growing on me a lot!
    -- Penelope (Poppy or Pom) - I know Penelope is rather 'common' compared to many on your list, but it is my #2 and Poppy is too cute!
    -- Polyhymnia/Polymnia (Polly/Pom) - seems very musical and beautiful
    -- Tinuviel (Tiny/Nuvi) - this reminds me a bit of the word "synovial" referring to the fluid between joints, so it's not my favorite
    -- Zenobia - I love Bee and Zoe a ton as nicknames! I feel like this is both unusual, but also approachable just like Aphrodite. I love Tina Fey, and I know this is her first daughter's middle names, so it seems familiar, but unique

Favorites: Gwenllian, Hespera (Espy), Iphigenia (Idgie), Morgana, Penelope (I'd be a hypocrite otherwise!), and Zenobia

One of my friends has a sister 13 months older than her and another friend has a sister whose just a year below her in school, so it can totally work for the best!
    ~* Not Expecting, Just Collecting *~
    Beatrix | Bryony | Cordelia | Eloise | Felicity | Guinevere | Matilda | Penelope | Tabitha | Winifred
    August | Dorian | Ezra | George | Hugo | Leopold | Lysander | Oberon | Theodore | Truman

I'm glad to see Zenobia's still on your list! I'm rooting for it. Aphrodite and Zenobia are just too perfect. Elegant, regal, and ethereal from A to Z.

My other favorites from your all around gorgeous list are Belpheobe and Iphigenia. Best of luck to you!
    Noora
    Mom to Rusha, Tarek, and Naseem

Ooh, some lovely choices! My top five is...

Andromeda
    Belphoebe - personal favourite!
    Hespera
    Pandora
    Zenobia
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter