Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ttc 2013

Ttc 2013

Hi Berries,
    So I had another thread about TTC. Clearly our first try at it was not successful which I kind of knew because it was on a whim and not really planned with my ovulating days. Plus we only have sex twice during that time frame. Sorry TMI. But ou berries have been really helpful and supportive with advice.

I have a question... is it possible to have sex and be successful if you do it a few days before you are suppose to ovulate? Or is it best to just have sex every other day during the week of ovulation starting on the first day of ovulation? Also is it possible to get pregnant right after your period? I did once hear that old myth "to get a boy have sex during ovulation, to get a girl have sex right after your period". Not saying this is what I am trying to do but that saying never made sense to me if you can supposedly only get pregnant while ovulating.

Any advice would be really helpful since we are giving it another go this month. I want to be prepared this time so hopefully it is successful.
    TTC Baby #1

Quote Originally Posted by scarletsway View Post
    I did once hear that old myth "to get a boy have sex during ovulation, to get a girl have sex right after your period". Not saying this is what I am trying to do but that saying never made sense to me if you can supposedly only get pregnant while ovulating.

Any advice would be really helpful since we are giving it another go this month. I want to be prepared this time so hopefully it is successful.
    This theory is based on the idea that Y-sperm (male) are lighter, therefore swim faster than X-sperm (female). If the male sperm swim faster, they should theoretically make it to the egg before the heavier, slower X-sperm. However, Y-sperm tend to have a shorter viability window than the longer living female sperm. The theory postulates that if you have sex 2-3 days prior to ovulation, and then not again, the chances are that you will conceive a daughter because the slower moving X chromosome sperm will steadily makes their way to the egg, but the Y chromosome sperm will already have died. To conceive a boy, try to have sex right at ovulation so that the male sperm reach the egg first.

The best advice to conceive a baby in general without regard to gender is to time intercourse with ovulation. Basic rules of thumb are 1) sperm can live inside of your uterus for 72 hours or more, but 2) an egg will die about 24 hours after ovulation. 3) It can take the sperm up to 12 hours to even find the egg due to the fact they are often unbelievably inefficient swimmers. If there are problems with motility or morphology, it may take even longer.

Knowing when you ovulate is the first step. If you have a regular cycle each month, you should ovulate around the midpoint, but that is not always the case. Women with an average 28 day cycle ovulate around day 14, so I will use that scenario as an example. A woman with an average cycle should begin having sex around day 10 or 11 and have it daily through ovulation. Ideally, there should be sperm waiting inside the fallopian tube to meet the newly ovulated egg. Waiting until after ovulation has already occurred is very risky because the egg may already be unviable by the time the sperm finds it. Also, having sex EVERY DAY during your fertile period is actually more effective than every other, contrary to popular belief. It can be difficult to find the time to have it daily, though. The most important factor is to try to actually enjoy the time with your partner, rather than look at it as work.

If you don't know when you ovulate, start using an OPK each month so that you start to get a sense of when you ovulate. If you are really ambitious, charting your basal body temperature also helps to pinpoint your fertile period. But if you are healthy and have a regular menstrual cycle, you don't need to worry about that. Just start having sex daily about 3-4 days prior to the midpoint of your cycle.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by sdsurfmama; July 3rd, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

The best time to have sex is two or three days before ovulation, the day before ovulation, the day of ovulation and the day after ovulation. Your fertile period is five days before ovulation until one day after ovulation. You can get pregnant right after your period only if that's when you ovulate (for most women that isn't the case). Definitely don't wait until the day you ovulate to start having sex. You're much more likely to get pregnant if you do it a day or two before ovulation than the day of or day after. That saying you mentioned is rubbish! It's based on the idea is that if you want a girl, have sex a few days before ovulation and if you want a boy, have sex closer to ovulation. The theory is that girl sperm last longer, but boy sperm travel faster. Try to figure out when you ovulate (using ovulation kits or a thermometer) if you haven't already. Then have a lot of sex around this time, especially in the few days before ovulation! If you haven't calculated your ovulation date yet, it's usually fourteen days before next period is due (of course, this isn't the case for all women, but it's a good place to start if you've no idea when your fertile time is).
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

So after reading both your posts I am on a regular 28 cycle. For example I got my period last month on June 4th. I have it for about a week and I count 28 days from June 4th which lands on July 2. My period showed up with cramps and all on that exact day. So with knowing that information is it best to start having sex July 11? My ovulation is suppose to start July 14th and end July 18th according to this ovulation calculator I found online by 1st Response. I have tested some others out and it says the exact same thing.
    TTC Baby #1

also side note: we are leaving for vacation this weekend and traveling back home Sunday July 13th will that ruin chances or if we have sex July 14th-18th we will still be okay? I just do not want to miss the window of opportunity like we did the last time. But I also want it to be fun and not have it be a job like sdsurfmama said.
    TTC Baby #1