Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Have you ever run into this?

I was browsing the baby name forum on a different site and came across an interesting name regret thread. This poor girl was very upset about her daughter's name. I won't list it here, but the fn was a top 5 name and the mn was a very trendy, celebrity-inspired name. This girl admitted that she didn't put much thought in choosing her daughter's name. She said she basically picked the first popular name she heard/liked and went with an easy celebrity choice for the middle. Now, she is having another daughter and says she's matured and her taste in names has changed dramatically. To be fair, the name in question was not that bad at all. Just the perfect pairing of popular and trendy.

Name regret is nothing new, we hear about it on NB all the time. I guess the thing that kind of shocked me was the fact that she freely admitted that she put very little thought in her daughter's name. I have always SUSPECTED this might be happening when children are named generic or trendy choices, but never heard of anyone owning up to it before.

Have you ever met anyone like this? I guess it's hard for anyone on NB to imagine NOT putting exhaustive time and thought into their child's name. Hell, I've been mulling name choices for YEARS! How can someone put so little thought into naming another human being?!?!

I'd love to hear your thoughts! I'm still reeling over here.
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Eve, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora, Fawn
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Casper, Leopold

To be honest, I think it's very common among non-namenerds.
    ~ Ashley ~

Girls: Phoebe Elizabeth, Ivy Teresa, Josephine Grace
    Boys: Michael Ryan, Jethro Nicholas, Felix Everett, Noah Robert

Most people in my family were named this way. I always assumed it was because the less people either read, or are exposed to a wide variety of names, the less importance they place on a name. Now that most people have the internet, it seems lazy namers just choose something made-up/misspelled or celebrity inspired instead of old stand-bys like James or John. It does seem incredibly strange to me though, even though I'm more than used to people naming like this. I've been working on my names list for thirteen years now!

Would you mind posting a link to that thread? I'd love to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by namesy View Post
    Would you mind posting a link to that thread? I'd love to read it.
    I would really love to namesy, but I've seen trouble in the past with linking to external sites. I remember a terrible FB incident where the poor girl in question found out that someone from NB had linked to her FB feed where she was discussing her.... Um... kre8ively named child. Needless to say, it was not pretty!

I will tell you it was on BC Baby Names forum.
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Eve, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora, Fawn
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Casper, Leopold

I suppose that she didn't really think she put in so little thought at the time, and it is only now, when naming another daughter (and frequenting baby name forums) that she realises she could have researched names and put a lot more [thought] in? To be honest, I'm just making things up here: like you, I can't really imagine not putting a lot of thought into a name, but I think that's true of all Berries, haha!