Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help us narrow down our list

We are due with our boy in just under a month and here is our short list of favorites, more or less in order of how much we like them. Big sister is Posy, not short for anything, so we obviously like nicknames. Would love to hear thoughts.

Huck (definitely our favorite, but my partner doesn't like Huxley and I refuse to do Huckleberry or Henry (super popular where we live), so I think it would just be Huck and I'm not sure if that works)
    Indiana or just Indy (love almost as much as Huck)
    Albert (love the nickname Alby but am afraid of Albert itself being nerdy)

and these are sort of tied for last, although keep in mind, they've still been weeded out and made it to our short favorite list:
    Griffin (unsure about the trendiness of it and I don't like that it could be shortened to Fin)
    Rafferty (not in love, may be off the short list soon, actually, but Raf/Raffi is cute)

There's a host of other names we love but can't use, which includes Owen, Sam, Max, Jack and Teddy/Theodore/Edward.

Thoughts or suggestions? TIA!
    Last edited by dandelion; July 9th, 2013 at 05:12 PM.

Huck - cute, I like it! No need to assign a longer, more formal name, even though I think Henry is super cute (it's not super popular where I live, though).
    Indiana - I would just use Indy. I think the Indiana Jones association to is too overpowering. Aside from that, I think Indiana is too feminine. But Indy I really like, and I wouldn't immediately think of Indiana Jones.
    Charlie - so cute. I also knew a female Charlie, but I think it's a great name for a boy, regardless.
    Albert - I like Alby and I like Albert. What's wrong with nerdy?
    Archer - agree that you should axe it. Rhyming first/last is not cute in my opinion.
    Griffin - cute, not trendy at all where I'm from so I may not be the best person to give an opinion and I would never think to shorten it to Fin. Maybe Griff, but not Fin
    Rafferty - Love. And I love both the nicknames. But if you don't love it, then scrap it. Should be easy enough.

Huck is by far my favorite. I think it works really well as a full name and I am totally not a nick name person. I also think it sounds nice with your daughter's name. My second choice would be Charlie (though I would use Charles nn Charlie) or Albert (nn Albie or Bertie).

If it helps, I would immediately think of Indiana Jones with the name Indiana or Indy. I also think that Indiana Jones isn't going to fade from cultural significance any time soon. It is such an iconic character. Plus, I would not be surprised if the franchise was rebooted one day. Also, remember, Indiana Jones was named after the family dog.

Edit: I just reread your post and saw the list of names you love but can't use. I really like a lot of them. Have you considered Hugh, Logan or Miles? They sort of fit in there as well.
    Last edited by gijanie; July 3rd, 2013 at 02:24 PM.

Huck: I like Huck, but unfortunately I like it best as a nickname, what about Hugo or Hector nn Huck?
    Indiana or just Indy: Love Indy and I think Indiana fits your style and is in that sweet spot where it's familiar and unexpected
    Charlie: Charles nn Charlie is one of my absolute favorites for guys, so I wouldn't worry about it being girly
    Albert (love the nickname Alby: Love Albert, it is totally nerdy but personally I think it's a cool nerdy......
    Archer/Ace: I like Archer and LOVE the nn Ace. It depends on what your last name is, generally I would say if they both end in 'er' stay away from it. But it can work.
    Griffin: Finn names are getting pretty popular, I could see it maybe going to top 100 but not top 10
    Rafferty: like the nn Raf/Raffie but Rafferty isn't one of my favorites maybe Ralph or Raphael?
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Huck - rhymes with a bad word so that turns me off!
    Indiana or just Indy - Jones? Not my style but I guess it's slightly better than Huck.
    Charlie - all boy for me and if you like nn's this is a winner! Posy and Charlie make a cute pair!
    Albert - as in Fat Albert? I don't know if this name is ready for revival just yet. Do you like Alfred nn Alfie or Gilbert nn Gil?
    Archer/Ace - if your surname ends in "er", I would eliminate all names ending the same way.
    Griffin - Griffin has the same spunky vibe as Posy so this is my favourite.
    Rafferty - This name has a lot of rakish charm.

Other
    Suggestions

Walt
    Hal
    Harry
    Ben
    Duke
    Will
    Abe
    Ike
    Tom
    Nico