Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Convince Me!

Threaded View

Wow, what an invitation! I have so many favorites....I really could make up short lists in several 'styles'. I'll just list a few in no particular order.

Girls:

Tabitha--I love the rhythm. I love that it has a sort of formal sound, yet has the playful 'Tabi' beginning. I love that I've never known a Tabitha, yet it's familiar. I'm at a total loss as to why it isn't used more.

Tess--Fell in love with Tess of the D'Urbervilles when I was 14. Was sure that I would give my daughter this name. Then I married a man with lots of sibilants in his last name. I love the simplicity and the romance.

Phoebe--my top Greek name. Again, it's formal and playful at the same time. I love "Feebs" as a pet name.

Eleanor-- best of the classics. It's lyrical and has dignity and history. Plus, you can get to Nell, Ellie, Nora.....

Linnea--I am not generally a fan of super-girly names. But this one is graceful and soft without being froufrou. It's not in the Top 1000, yet is totally accessible.

Sabrina--there's just something so bright about this name that I can't imagine a Sabrina who wouldn't fully embrace life. Soft beginning and end, but that "bree" middle gives it life.

Susannah--She's a prairie girl. She's Biblical. Shakespeare liked it enough to use it on a real daughter! I understand that Sue and Susan are a bit dated, but who cares? The full name is wonderful....soft, yet substantial. Not in the Top 1000? Amazing.

Eowyn--my guilty pleasure. I wish lots of intrepid LOTR fans would start using it so it would become a bit more mainstream. It starts somewhat regally, like Eleanor, but then finishes with a soft, feminine sound.

Greer--one off my one-syllable list. Unusual, yet easy. Sounds terribly sophisticated to me.

Boys:

Peter--has it all. Crisp, bright sound. It's strong, yet cuddly. Has a long history, yet sounds modern. Instantly familiar, yet not encountered in the U.S. all that often. And think of the associations: Peter Pan, Penvensie and Rabbit. Peter the Great. St. Peter.

Leo--love the simplicity and the quirkiness of the 'o' ending.

Sullivan and Tolliver--love these surnames.....they just seem.....jaunty. And warm and friendly. And Sully and Tolly are great nns.

Kai--Again, bright and cheerful. I also like the slight exotic feel of the name.

Gideon--a favorite Biblical name. I like the rhythm of this one. I like that it has the hard consonants sounds but doesn't sound harsh.

Calvin and Gordon--grandpa names that need to be revived. They sound like strong, all-boy names without high testosterone. I suppose Calvin appeals because of Calvin and Hobbes......Gordon just seems so friendly and open.

Tristan and Tarquin.....I'm a sucker for anything medieval. I like the crisp two-syllable sounds of these two.

Luca.....is just so darned cool. It sidesteps the Lucifer overtones of Lucian and Lucius, as well as the cowboy sound of Lucas/Luke. Sounds totally modern while keeping the ancient credibility.

Wyatt.....nothing wrong with cowboys, and this name has swagger and refinement at the same time. Also love the slightly quirky Wy beginning.
    Last edited by missmolly; July 3rd, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Obsessing over names since 1964