Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Is Celestine usable for a boy?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a boys' name

4 13.33%
  • No, it's gone over to the girls

9 30.00%
  • Yes, it's unisex and works well for both

5 16.67%
  • No, it's technically unisex, but I would be surprised to see it on a boy

12 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Celestine, for a boy?

Liam's only a week old, yet I'm already thinking of names for a future brother! Ah, the mind of a name nerd...

Anyway, we're pretty set on Alexander for the first name of another son, so I'm thinking more about middles. One name that has recently caught my fancy is Celestine. Historically, it was used as a masculine name -- chosen by several popes, most who were later named saints -- but when I looked it up here at Nameberry, I was surprised to find only an entry for it as a girl's name. Personally, I consider it unisex, but do you think it would be strange to use it for a boy in this age and time? Has it gone completely to the girls? Would spelling it Celestin make it look a bit more masculine?

And, on a similar note, I'm also loving Valentin/e, Constantine, and Augustin/e (although maybe not as a middle for Alexander). Are there any other boys' names out there that end with -tin/e?
    Last edited by mega_muffin; July 3rd, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar, and expecting Catherine "Cate" Ophelia in September 2014!
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

I don't know the technical answer, but it sounds pretty feminine to me. But it's for the middle name, which takes the pressure off. Unless paired with something also ambiguous, I think it's fine. If you love it, you should use it! I prefer it with the e on the end.

And congrats on William "Liam" Balthazar!!

It's fine for a boy. What about Celestino?

Corentine? Quentin?
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Of course! It's unisex because it's a stone/mineral (a very pretty pale blue)

Celestine is so uncommon that many people will not even know it but because it ends in -tine they will automatically call it feminine. It's a great name. I have a friend with the surname Celestin so I like that name too

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Blaise
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

Oh, I love Alexander Constantine.