Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yuri/Yury, what do you think?

Hi, I'm new to this site but I've always looked to it for inspiration! Only just decided to make an account because the name I'm crushing on isn't popular enough to have any opinions.

I'm not expecting but I'm thinking ahead as per usual and I love the name Yuri, for a little boy.

I'm worried about a few things though,

A) Does it sound too much like urine?

B) Do you think you need to have a Russian background to use it? I'm Australian and have no Russian in me at all so I'm not sure if that's weird.
    But at the same time, my boys are Evan which is Welsh if I'm not mistaken, and Otto which is German. Those names seem to work fine, so I'm wondering if Yuri would be the same?

C) Does it go with my boys' names? Evan, Otto and Yuri? I only want one more child so I figure I may as well continue the 4-letter trend I've got going.

D) How would you pronounce it and do you think it would be mispronounced?

E) From researching, I've found that Yuri is a female name in Japan and is also a girl on girl romance genre, which I'm not a huge fan of that connection lol so what about spelling it with a Y? Yury? It is a legit alternative spelling, I didn't make it up, BUT I've always been one to stick with traditional spellings so I feel wrong spelling it the less common way, although I think I prefer it. So Yuri or Yury?

F) Think of a nice 7 letter name for a middle?
    My boys both have 7 letter middle names which was completely unintentional but I would also like to continue that trend.
    So far I like Lachlan, Lincoln, Malachi, Wallace and possibly William or Gabriel.
    Any suggestions would be awesome.

Sorry this was so long!
    I've been thinking about this name for a while now though and I do think it sounds very sweet.

If you have a different 4 letter name suggestion that goes with Evan Anthony and Otto Patrick, I would love to hear that also.

TIA

A) Does it sound too much like urine?
    -- I don't think so, no.

B) Do you think you need to have a Russian background to use it? I'm Australian and have no Russian in me at all so I'm not sure if that's weird.
    But at the same time, my boys are Evan which is Welsh if I'm not mistaken, and Otto which is German. Those names seem to work fine, so I'm wondering if Yuri would be the same?
    -- I do think it's one of those Eastern European names that's hard to pull off unless you have the background.

C) Does it go with my boys' names? Evan, Otto and Yuri? I only want one more child so I figure I may as well continue the 4-letter trend I've got going.
    -- It goes better with Otto than Evan.

D) How would you pronounce it and do you think it would be mispronounced?
    -- Yuri is YOO-ree. It might be pronounced yur-ee but even that's really close to YOO-ree.

E) From researching, I've found that Yuri is a female name in Japan and is also a girl on girl romance genre, which I'm not a huge fan of that connection lol so what about spelling it with a Y? Yury? It is a legit alternative spelling, I didn't make it up, BUT I've always been one to stick with traditional spellings so I feel wrong spelling it the less common way, although I think I prefer it. So Yuri or Yury?
    -- No, keep the original spelling. Yury isn't legit but Yuriy is.

F) Think of a nice 7 letter name for a middle?
    -- With Yuri, I'd go with something more common and traditional, like William.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Thank you for answering.

I also feel it goes better with Otto than Evan but, well, they're set in stone now. Haha.
    Also Evan isn't popular here in Australia so although Evan may seem really popular apposed to Otto which isn't.. Neither of them are common here! I know it is in the US though.

A) No.

B) From previous experience, no. I knew a female, Yury. I believe she was from a Hispanic/Mexican background. But that does not mean that her family did not have family ties to Russia.

C) Yes, at least in my opinion. Abel, Aron, Boaz, also sounds nice with Evan and Otto. There are more, but I cannot think of them right this moment.

D) YOO-ree. No, I think it's pretty straight forward.

E) She was the first person I have ever met named, Yury, so it was odd yet interesting when I met her. Although, I know what you are talking about in the manga genre. I still didn't think of it until I read your comment. I guess because I am not interested in that genre, that it never crossed my mind. Even know, it does not really bother me.

F) Not many, but maybe they can spark some more ideas:
    Yuri Brandon
    Yuri Charles
    Yuri Donovan
    Yuri Douglas
    Yuri Frazier
    Yuri Gabriel
    Yuri Kenneth
    Yuri Leander
    Yuri Malcolm
    Yuri Michael
    Yuri Nicolas
    Yuri Raphael
    Yuri Solomon
    Yuri Timothy (too sing-song?)
    Yuri Vincent
    Yuri Webster
    Yuri Wilbert
    Yuri Wilfred
    Yuri Willard

● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● ● • ● • ● • ● • ● •

Caspian & Lilias

● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● ● • ● • ● • ● • ● •

Thanks so much for answering!

Although I'm not worried that anybody will know the connection with Yuri and the lesbian anime romance genre, I'm more worried that he will want to google his name, or somebody else will, and that's what comes up.

It just might look odd is all.
    But I could be over thinking that.