Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I can't say much about which/where names will move up/down US charts but I'll tell you what I've gleaned from knowing the popularity charts.

Is the US generally a few years behind the UK in naming trends? Or are there names that just don't transfer? I don't think you are. There are a lot of similarities in that ever-popular names are always high up: William, Elizabeth, James... all the common biblicals. But the trend here for years now has been 'clunky vintage' (Wilfred, Archie, Beatrix, Matilda etc) and cute nickname names. I haven't seen much evidence of this in the US: Alfie, Archie, Freddie and Louie are all 2011 E&W Top 100 boy names and were all in the E&W Top 100 5 years ago, but haven't been in the US charts for at least the last 15 years. As for vintage- girl top 100 names like Florence and Harriet also haven't seen the light of the US Top 1000 for at least 30 years. Yes, some names pass over, but mostly I think our trends are separate and we're both behind each other in our separate trends.

Can you think of examples where names became popular in the US about 5-10 yrs after becoming big in the UK? Isla. Jumped on US charts in 2008 and is currently at #230. In E&W it'd been on the charts for years; steadily climbing from it's position of #382 in 1996 to #15 now.

Callum. In England & Wales it was #20 in 1996 and has actually dropped to #46 now. First hopped onto the US charts in 2008.

Does it ever happen vice versa, names big in the US hit the UK later? As for US > UK trends, I can definitely see US influence. This irks me a little as 'American' names tend to be the trendy surname types, which I dislike. Although the US trend for surnames has caught on here, I don't think we use the same ones as you lot (e.g. Harvey and Bailey for boys). But the thing the US has about giving girls boy names really hasn't caught on here. I was sad enough to do the calculations a few months back: Riley, Mckenzie, Rory and Finley are all well over 90% male here.

Another name that popped in my head is Freya, which is apparently high on the UK lists, but totally outside of the top 1000 here. Is that another one that we're just lagging behind in recognizing? Or is there an appeal to this name that's lost in the US? Ditto Imogen, Poppy and Georgina. I don't know why these haven't caught on. US berries will have better insight!

All in all, I don't think you should be worried about Matilda. At the 600 mark, it's not that popular and I can't see it going anywhere fast. Lecture over
    Last edited by charlieandperry1; July 3rd, 2013 at 07:46 AM.

Matilda's had a chance to become really popular due it's closeness to the other Maddie- type names. Since it hasn't increased a ton yet, I'm not sure it will.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

The 600s is really not that popular. At 658 the name was given to 769 babies last year. In the whole country. Compared to 22,158 Sophias, Matilda is nowhere near the really popular names. I would also check the SSA site for the numbers for your state. I'm sure the Matilda numbers will practically disappear.

I'm not a personal fan, but Matilda is a perfectly lovely, solid, feminine name with nn potential, it's easy to say, unusual but not weird, it hits the naming jackpot. I wouldn't worry about the popularity.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

I think the US celebrity influence and the Mattie nn option and the fact that the book is running as a musical right now all have a bigger influence of US naming trends than the UK charts.

Vintage names have been a trend for a very long time here in the US and I think everyone is searching for something that fits in with the quirky vintage classic type. Matilda works.

If popularity is a major concern for you I think you should look off of the top 1000 if possible. I don't doubt that Matilda is on the rise.

Keep in mind that the blog Waltzing More Than Matilda will likely come up in any mom-to-be's online search for the perfect name.

I wouldn't worry too much about Matilda booming in the US. Brits seem to have a different collective taste than Americans, if you look at their lists over the last few years, and I don't think Matilda is quite the popular style here.