Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Maybellene, why can't you be true?

My husband and I both love the name Maybellene. It's pretty much the only girls' name we both agree on. I loved the name Mabel as a child and I love the pretty French sound of Maybellene. My husband is a Chuck Berry fan and loves it from the song. I also think the nickname "Maybe" is adorable and I even like May. But when it comes to actually naming our daughter, I just can't get past the makeup connection. Of course my husband doesn't think that is an issue - he didn't even realize it was a brand. So I guess she would be fine with the guys, but I'm sure she would get lots of jokes from the ladies.

Any ideas for how to work through this? Is it any better to name her May Beline? Or is that almost worse? Any other ideas for something similar?

I like Maybellene. And love Mabel! Make up brand is just a small issue.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

It's a pretty name but i instantly think of the make up brand. I would go with Mabel and then you can still NN her Maybe or May

It's pretty but I do think of the make up...what about just Mabel?

I wouldn't do May Beline, it looks awkward...Mabel Lina would be pretty, though. You could call her by her first and middle to get Mabellina, which is very close to Maybellene but maybe different enough from the make up to not get a bunch of weird looks, and all the nn you love would still apply.

Magdalene is another pretty name that's similar to Mabellene, perhaps it might appeal to you? Maggie would be a sweet nn, and May would work, too. Dolly or Lena would be nice too!

My first thought was the make up brand; because the name is so unusual, the association than other "girl brand-names" like Pandora or Chloé.

May Beline or Mabel (Lynn) are great suggestions and you get to call her "May/Maybe".

More ideas:
    * Mably —*a medieval form of Mabel.
    * Amabel
    * Mabella
    * Mirabelle
    * Maribel
    * Isabelline
    * a double first name: Mary-Abigail, Mary-Isabelle, Mary-Belinda.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.