Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Baby Name Terror

I have always loved names. I'm always trying to find some great name for my "future" kids. Well now the future is here and I'm due in February, and I find that the most terrifying thing about this pregnancy is finding the right name.

I really want an Irish name, but the only time the poor kid wouldn't have to constantly correct people would be in Ireland. I also don't want to repeat names, or give a name that is generic and bland.

*sigh*

How do you get past it?

Claire

I would suggest using an Irish name that is common in the U.S. or is easy for people in the U.S. to say.

Suggestions

Girls -
    Nora
    Brenna
    Dara
    Delaney
    Cassidy
    Deirdre

Boys-
    Brody
    Connor
    Ian (Other berry suggested, and I love it too!)
    Carbry
    Brennan
    Kieran
    Covy

The best way round it is to pick a name with a more obvious pronounciation.
    Current favourite girls names: Verity, Eden, Cliora, Antonia, Morwen, Catriona, Dervla, Colette, Sorcha, Tahlia, Lucina, Vita (as name or short for Victoria), Zabet (as name or short for Elizabeth), Nina, Kylara, Zelda, Sabine, Eliska, Zelina

Check out my fantasy/sci-fi girls names list, you'll be surprised how 'normal' they can be! http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/29858

My husband is Irish and wants all our kids to have Irish names, but I refuse to name them something that can't be pronounced/spelled in English. It is limiting, but it can be done.

Maura/Moira (Irish forms of Mary - our daughter is Maura.)
    Maureen (diminutive of Maura)
    Brigid/Bridget
    Colleen (means "girl" in Irish - It's not actually used as a name in Ireland, but it was popular with Irish immigrants to the US.)
    Kathleen
    Caitlin
    Erin
    Deirdre (Deer-druh - not that popular anymore, but it was common enough in the past that it should be familiar to most adults.)
    Brenda/Brenna
    Brianna
    Fiona (very familiar now because of Shrek)
    Maeve

Patrick
    Brendan
    Finn/Finnegan
    Cormac
    Sean/Shawn
    Kevin (this name, along with Sean/Shawn, was fairly common when we were kids, but I'm a substitute teacher and almost never hear them now.)
    Declan
    Connor
    Aidan

Also, my husband would cringe at this suggestion, but there are a lot of Irish surnames that are used as first names.