Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Would this be bad?

I absolutely adore the name Madeline! (mad-uh-line) However, I really prefer the spelling Madeleine - for a long time I thought it was pronounced mad-uh-line, but then I found out the correct French pronunciation is mad-uh-lehn. Problem is, I don't like this pronunciation. To me, it is entirely too close to Madelyn, which I don't like the pronunciation of.

The reason I dislike Madeline is because the only two people with this name I know pronounce it like Madelyn, as i'm sure many others would. Likewise, I actually discovered that there are others who agree Madeleine looks ore like a long I sound to them.

So, would it be bad if I used the name Madeleine someday, but used the pronunciation mad-uh-line? It's not like there aren't other names whose pronunciations are subjected to changes by their bearers... (I know an Alicia who pronounces her name a-lish-a, like rhyming with fish)

IMO, there are definitely worse naming sins I think Madeleine pronounced with -line at the end isn't awful.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

Thanks, it does appear minor when stacked next to Kynzlee and Renesmee.
    Last edited by larkub101; July 9th, 2013 at 11:03 PM.

I would pronounce these two spellings exactly the same, unless I'd heard them before reading them. I've only ever heard Madeline and Madelyne, so Madelehn seems odd to me as a pronunciation in general.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

I would have pronounced Madeleine like Madeline also, so I think you'd be fine

Mama to Quentin Charles, born July 4!

Russell Theodore || ??
    Catherine Violet || Ava Kathleen