Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Name imagery

Quote Originally Posted by goodhope View Post
    Words, particularly names, feel like they have temperatures to me. It's as close as I come to any kind of synesthesia. I tend to favor warm names for boys, cool names for girls, and I usually really dislike names that go to extremes...too hot (Nolan, Zachary) or too icey cold (Victoria, Persephone).

I always think it's fun how different people's name imagery can be.
    Same for me, names with temperatures I mean. I think that's why weather plays such a big part in my vision of the name. I prefer stormy, icy, winter, cold, rainy names, though some of my favorites do have a spring-like perfection about them. If the name has color, it's usually more to do with the colors the weather inspires than anything else.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Polaris Fae ● Isabeau Jane Sophronia ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Khione Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Absolutely! I feel as if I am seeing a beautiful town or a magical/mystical place when I hear certain names, like the person with that name in a fairy tale like environment. Something ethereal and unusual, like nature children or fairies, since I love fairies . I love names that conjure up Imagery of strong, spiritual girls who are stunning with eye catching hair and who are brave, independent, mysterious, and filled with passion. They have adventures on the countryside and have countless lovers who worship them. It's not really synesthesia, though I wish I had it. Even the most banal things in life would seem interesting!
    XOXO Whillemina
    Crazy and Happy Name-Obsessed Teen
    Faves
    Kirrily, Rosalind, Tamsin, Josephine

Quote Originally Posted by greyer View Post
    Every name has a color (often more than one mixed together) and texture to me, and some of them have a shape. For example Catherine is a dusty, pale pink - think a pale dusty-rose color with the texture of powdered makeup. Lydia is similar: white and pale grey with a dusty, cratered texture, like I imagine standing on the surface of the moon would look and feel. On the other hand Henry is bright turquoise blue with veins of navy, smooth but a bit crackled, and shape as though you're standing under a dome.

As far as imagery I think @ottilie's description of how she sees names or wants a name to look is absolutely beautiful, but I don't get much like that, just the colors. And my personal 'favorite' colors don't necessarily correspond to my favorite names. Ex: my favorite colors are grey and chartreuse, and the name Ailsa combines both those two colors, but I don't love it. It's okay, but wouldn't make my list. (Might have something to do with the fact that it, like Albert, has a warty, gourd-like texture)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not more oriented towards auras than I am towards the colors of the names themselves, because two people with the same name sometimes have different colors. Ex: my uncle Steven I see as very dark hunter green/black, painted velvet texture, whereas my ex-fiance who was also a Stephen had a more smooth, warm, honey/light brown color - I don't think the spelling of the name has much to do with it, since individual letters aren't colored to me. I had another ex, Christopher, whose name was a deep burgundy-violet like the skin of a ripe plum, but I've met other Christophers who weren't the same color.

I don't know that it really affects my preferences for what names I like, since no matter what color they tend to have the same basic features: shorter (one or two syllables), vintage-sounding names with spunky nicknames. There are exceptions, of course (Barnaby and Leona are both 3-syllable names) but none of the colors match. I tend to think of the colors/textures as just a "bonus" dimension to the name rather than a deal-breaker, although if I thought a name's color/texture was really hideous I'd probably hesitate to use it.

Sorry for the novel, HTH!

Wow, greyer, are you synesthetic? If you aren't, maybe you just really, really absorb names well.
    ~Tali~

Girls: Ivy, Caroline, Bryony, Augusta, Idony, Adeline, Elizabeth, Sage, Delphine

Boys: Adrian, Halcyon, Everett, Nathaniel, Elliott, Brighton, Theodore, Levi, Camden

This is so captivating - I am absolutely fascinated to hear about the imagery/colours conjured up by different names, as I have never had such a response myself, or known anyone to have it. Sometimes, if I really concentrate on reading every letter of the name and speak it aloud, I can begin to piece together what kind of picture it gives me, but it is only very vague and takes a while to do... So if names are contrasting colours, or colours that don't 'go' together, could you not have them as sibling names, or as a first and a middle? Sorry to be so nosey and inquisitive, I am just finding this incredibly interesting!

do you have synesthesia?
    Some people are worth melting for.