Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Name imagery

To me, names have a weight, and good names are balanced. I have favourite first names, but that has little to do with the weight thing, as I can only really gauge the weight when I know the first, middle, and preferably last name.

It is better for names to be slightly too light than slightly too heavy. My own name is too heavy, I have a heavy last name, and my first name isn't light enough to compensate. This has annoyed me for a long time. Most of my relatives have more balanced names.
    Current favourite girls names: Verity, Eden, Cliora, Antonia, Morwen, Catriona, Dervla, Colette, Sorcha, Tahlia, Lucina, Vita (as name or short for Victoria), Zabet (as name or short for Elizabeth), Nina, Kylara, Zelda, Sabine, Eliska, Zelina

Check out my fantasy/sci-fi girls names list, you'll be surprised how 'normal' they can be! http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/29858

I love the fact that people have such strong imagery for names, I can invoke colours and imagery when asked to imagine but it doesn't come naturally. I more get a feeling or impression based on people, characters, styles, eras, sounds and feelings accociated (in my mind/ experience) with that name, and also the names meaning (although I don't think of meanings as strictly literal). And therefore meeting people can enhance or change that impression for me. I guess therefore my naming style is names that give an impression (for me) that match my values, beliefs etc.
    however my children's names are/ will be a compromise with my DH and so that effects which names get used IRL too.
    Last edited by tuitree; July 2nd, 2013 at 08:17 PM.

I wish I had synesthesia. Have from the moment I heard of it.

But alack the day, I do not. I do associate most names with certain colors, textures, and scenes, though.

Oriana - Blueish-lavender mist, the part of a sunset that's transitioning into dark night sky
    Aviva - Bright blue and magenta flowers
    Susanna - Purple calico
    Pandora - A wave

Emrys - A very dark forest, the smell of pine
    Ferdinand - Shiny, blue, slippery
    Kieran - A mossy cliff
    Julian - A squiggly line like a sound wave, royalness

Going through my list and doing this has made me realize that all my favorite names are cool colors. Hmmm. I suppose that makes sense, because I prefer cool colors in general.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

This would make a great name game! Names most definitely give me impressions. From emotions to places, colors, and experiences I find all sorts of ways to experience them.

For example:

Iantha is powder blue and lavender. She is of the spring and filled with joy.

Ilaria is golden, a warm desert. She seems unattainable, light as a feather.

Elowen is grounded. She is green and earthy. She walks firmly but in a breeze with purpose and strength.

Avalon is open and beautiful. She is a prism reflecting color and light, clear and lucid.

Ambrose is sweet. He is antiqued red. He holds the world but is gracious and kind.

Emrys is connected to others. He lives in the trees and on the wind. He is a whisper in the night.

Walter is mischievous but good natured. He is blue, bright blue, full of life though a little offbeat. He is the most out of place with my other names but still has vintage feel like most of the others.
    Mother of Gabriel Christian, #2 (finally!) on the way!!!!

DH finally agreed baby boy could be:

Emrys, Sebastian, Atticus, Sage, Abraham, Ambrose

We're still discussing middle names....

Words, particularly names, feel like they have temperatures to me. It's as close as I come to any kind of synesthesia. I tend to favor warm names for boys, cool names for girls, and I usually really dislike names that go to extremes...too hot (Nolan, Zachary) or too icey cold (Victoria, Persephone).

I always think it's fun how different people's name imagery can be.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra