Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Name imagery

Hybrid View

Name imagery

Do your favorite names conjure certain sights, smells, sounds, tastes, and textures in your head? What type of imagery are you most attracted to? There's almost always a correlation between the names we love and the things we value, and I'm interested to know what you think the imagery you associate with your favorite names says about you. Or, if you're someone who doesn't "get" name imagery, what do you think your favorite names say about you?

Any takers?
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Every name has a color (often more than one mixed together) and texture to me, and some of them have a shape. For example Catherine is a dusty, pale pink - think a pale dusty-rose color with the texture of powdered makeup. Lydia is similar: white and pale grey with a dusty, cratered texture, like I imagine standing on the surface of the moon would look and feel. On the other hand Henry is bright turquoise blue with veins of navy, smooth but a bit crackled, and shape as though you're standing under a dome.

As far as imagery I think @ottilie's description of how she sees names or wants a name to look is absolutely beautiful, but I don't get much like that, just the colors. And my personal 'favorite' colors don't necessarily correspond to my favorite names. Ex: my favorite colors are grey and chartreuse, and the name Ailsa combines both those two colors, but I don't love it. It's okay, but wouldn't make my list. (Might have something to do with the fact that it, like Albert, has a warty, gourd-like texture)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not more oriented towards auras than I am towards the colors of the names themselves, because two people with the same name sometimes have different colors. Ex: my uncle Steven I see as very dark hunter green/black, painted velvet texture, whereas my ex-fiance who was also a Stephen had a more smooth, warm, honey/light brown color - I don't think the spelling of the name has much to do with it, since individual letters aren't colored to me. I had another ex, Christopher, whose name was a deep burgundy-violet like the skin of a ripe plum, but I've met other Christophers who weren't the same color.

I don't know that it really affects my preferences for what names I like, since no matter what color they tend to have the same basic features: shorter (one or two syllables), vintage-sounding names with spunky nicknames. There are exceptions, of course (Barnaby and Leona are both 3-syllable names) but none of the colors match. I tend to think of the colors/textures as just a "bonus" dimension to the name rather than a deal-breaker, although if I thought a name's color/texture was really hideous I'd probably hesitate to use it.

Sorry for the novel, HTH!
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Guinevere · Vivian · Florence · Lilleba · Beatrix
    August · Barnaby · Roland · Lester · Whitney

Quote Originally Posted by greyer View Post
    Every name has a color (often more than one mixed together) and texture to me, and some of them have a shape. For example Catherine is a dusty, pale pink - think a pale dusty-rose color with the texture of powdered makeup. Lydia is similar: white and pale grey with a dusty, cratered texture, like I imagine standing on the surface of the moon would look and feel. On the other hand Henry is bright turquoise blue with veins of navy, smooth but a bit crackled, and shape as though you're standing under a dome.

As far as imagery I think @ottilie's description of how she sees names or wants a name to look is absolutely beautiful, but I don't get much like that, just the colors. And my personal 'favorite' colors don't necessarily correspond to my favorite names. Ex: my favorite colors are grey and chartreuse, and the name Ailsa combines both those two colors, but I don't love it. It's okay, but wouldn't make my list. (Might have something to do with the fact that it, like Albert, has a warty, gourd-like texture)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not more oriented towards auras than I am towards the colors of the names themselves, because two people with the same name sometimes have different colors. Ex: my uncle Steven I see as very dark hunter green/black, painted velvet texture, whereas my ex-fiance who was also a Stephen had a more smooth, warm, honey/light brown color - I don't think the spelling of the name has much to do with it, since individual letters aren't colored to me. I had another ex, Christopher, whose name was a deep burgundy-violet like the skin of a ripe plum, but I've met other Christophers who weren't the same color.

I don't know that it really affects my preferences for what names I like, since no matter what color they tend to have the same basic features: shorter (one or two syllables), vintage-sounding names with spunky nicknames. There are exceptions, of course (Barnaby and Leona are both 3-syllable names) but none of the colors match. I tend to think of the colors/textures as just a "bonus" dimension to the name rather than a deal-breaker, although if I thought a name's color/texture was really hideous I'd probably hesitate to use it.

Sorry for the novel, HTH!

Wow, greyer, are you synesthetic? If you aren't, maybe you just really, really absorb names well.
    ~Tali~

Girls: Ivy, Caroline, Bryony, Augusta, Idony, Adeline, Elizabeth, Sage, Delphine

Boys: Adrian, Halcyon, Everett, Nathaniel, Elliott, Brighton, Theodore, Levi, Camden

do you have synesthesia?
    Some people are worth melting for.

Edited for privacy.
    Last edited by charlieandperry1; July 28th, 2014 at 11:40 AM.