Names Searched Right Now:

Zaccheus is too biblical, would this work?

I won't have kids for quite some time but I like to plan ahead...

I like Zachary but it is very common. I also like Zaccheus, but it sounds very religious to me (I'm an atheist). Would Zacchian or Zachian work, instead? What do you think about it? Does it sound obscure, or just made up? Which spelling do you prefer?

Zaccheus is biblical? ha. Don't let religion/the bible 'ruin' names for you. You don't have to be religious to appreciate it's meaning or the stories behind the names, and no one will assume you are religious because you use a name like Zaccheus. People who are religious will find meaning in it, people who aren't will think it's cool. If someone assumes you are religious because of it, it's an easy matter to correct them, just make sure that you are aware of/don't mind the bible story behind the name.

Zacchian/Zachian would work though, yeah. I think it's cool, and I prefer Zachian.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

"Zaccheus was a wee little man, a wee little man was he..."

As a Christian, I probably wouldn't use Zaccheus because his most outstanding trait is being short! I mean, there's a lot more to the story, and I actually think the character is worth naming after...but it's going to be a little funny to those who have heard the Sunday School version of the story or the above song.

Zechariah, Zachariah, Zacharias are other options, but still very Biblical.

Personally, Zachian sounds odd and made-up to me.

Also, since most Zacharys that I know are primarly called Zach, I'm not sure that having a different full name is going to make his name sound any less common. He would still be one of the many Zachs running around.

Quote Originally Posted by loisvs View Post
    He would still be one of the many Zachs running around.
    I would probably use Zacchian and Ian, and not Zach. Thank you for your opinion though. I do wonder how many people would think it is made up or tacky, so this helps.