Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Irish American Baby Girl Name

Hoping you can help us make up our mind. My husband and I have 3 sons with traditional Irish names - Declan, Brendan, and Sean. We are expecting our first little girl. We have a very simple plain neutral last name similar to Smith. I am first generation American of Irish parents and my husband is of Scots-Irish background - family from the American South. We live in the Northeast. We had no problems naming our sons - but naming our daughter is much harder. We are getting down to the last minute as we are due very soon. As our last name is so simple and ethnically neutral, we like our kids to have Irish names. Problem is traditional Irish girl names are much more difficult to pronounce for the Americans they will interact with daily. (I also have a ridiculous number of aunts and female cousins and if I name a child the same as one it would cause a bit of a war.) We have narrowed it down a bit and are looking for opinions. Thanks.
    Niamh Maire or Mary Niamh (Niamh = Neeve)
    Keira Mae (Prefer the Irish spelling of Keer-ah - Ciara but it would be pronounced Sierra or Key-ar-ah - which would drive me nuts!)
    Siobhan Maire (Siobhan = Shavon)

Well.. Siobhan is the only one I recognize. I also know how to spell it. So I figure if I do... others probably do, too. So my vote goes to Siobhan Marie.

All three are nice but I'd prefer Keira or Niamh because Siobhan pronounced "Shavon" sounds a little too close in sound to Sean, your son's name. I'd say Niamh Mary is my overall favorite.
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them

My votes for Keira Mae, I agree that Siobhan sounds too much like Sean for the sibset. Niamh Maire is gorgeous as well. Love, love, love the sibset. From an Irish American gal named Erin

Are you pronouncing Maire "MOI-rah?" It's not intuitive to me, though Siobhan and Niamh are. Go fig.
    I love both Niamh and Siobhan. Niamh is sleek but sweet. Siobhan is more voluptuously beautiful to me.

Any interest in Maura?
    Maura Siobhan?
    Niamh Margaret, Niamh Siobhan, Niamh Muirin
    Siobhan Medb (or Maeve)