Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rupert?

Am I the only American who's familiar with Rupert Bear?

I LOVE Rupert! Adore it. Completely. I would use it in about 3 seconds, haha. (And he would probably be called Rupert Bear as my nickname was Little Bear my whole life). I say go for it!
    Kylee
    Not baking, just planning...

Beautiful Ladies:
    Muiranne, Scarlett and Eliza

Handsome Gentlemen:
    Asher, Charlie and Nathaniel

For combos, please check out: http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9839415

Quote Originally Posted by flybella View Post
    Am I the only American who's familiar with Rupert Bear?
    Yes, apparently. Also not British, but I agree that it is becoming more usable. I would have thought it much more strange when I was a kid than now... Rupee could be a cute nn, too.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I'm a huge fan of Rupert!

Eh, I don't know. I think it's a bit much. It's like calling your son Reginald. Rupert sounds like he has a weak chin and wears leather gloves and flying goggles, and hangs out in a British gentlemen's club.

Not a fan, personally.

Thanks for all your responses. Glad to see that many people feel the same way about Rupert as I do!

For those asking who Rupert Bear is, he's a comic book character who has been around in England since the 1920's. He's a white bear who wears a red sweater, yellow checked trousers and a yellow scarf. He has adventures with his friends, who are mainly woodland animals and a few humans, although from memory there's also a dragon and a pixie/elf that he hangs around with. He's also had children's books written about him and a TV series or two, all aimed at young children. Always returns home from said adventures safe and sound, and in time for supper!

@tk - I think to be honest that adults in the UK would have a stronger association with Rupert Bear than most children would, as I'm not even sure whether he's a prominent character on kid's TV these days. I guess it would be kind of like naming them after a Sesame Street character in the sense that Rupert is a character that many people of my generation would have read/watched from a very young age growing up.

@smismar - I completely forgot about Stewie's teddy in Family Guy. That makes me like it even more!
    Girl Names: Alice, Anna, Astrid, Beatrice, Clara, Emily, Evelyn, Hannah, Hermione, Lorna, Phoebe, Sophie, Sylvia
    Boy Names: Andrew, Arthur, Elliot, Griffin, Hamish, Henry, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Thomas, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Damaris, Digory, Emrys, Ganymede, Hester, Jessamine, Phineas, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx