Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Martin

Martin

Given the great initial debacle involved with Fox, it seems like Martin has really moved to the forefront. DH and I have both loved it since I was pregnant with DD, but I always had misgivings about the obvious nicknames - Marty and Mart. It's such a serious name that it seems like a nickname would be unavoidable. But then hubby was reading the name meaning aloud and it hit me - Mars!

So, what do you think of Ivy & Martin as a sib set? Full name would likely be Martin Commodore.

Thanks!
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Martin... I've honestly never seen the appeal, but I do sort of like the idea of it with the nn Mars! Plus, Ivy and Martin work really well together--they're unexpected, but I really like them as a pairing. And Martin Commodore is really, really cool. Fox would have been amazing, too, but I think I like Martin with Ivy more.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Martin is one of my favourite names, so I'm biased! Growing up I had a fantastic teacher whose first name was Martin, and I really lilked the Redwall books when I was younger (one of the main characters was Martin the Warrior). Nothing but positive connotations for me, and I think the combination of Ivy and Martin is adorable.
    Girl Names: Alice, Anna, Astrid, Beatrice, Clara, Emily, Evelyn, Hannah, Hermione, Lorna, Phoebe, Sophie, Sylvia
    Boy Names: Andrew, Arthur, Elliot, Griffin, Hamish, Henry, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Thomas, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Damaris, Digory, Emrys, Ganymede, Hester, Jessamine, Phineas, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx

Oddly like the pp, I had a really great teacher named Martin, in middle school / first year of high school. Easily can say he influenced my success as I'm in a physics/science based career and I started off HORRIBLE at math, which got me to where I am today.

Ivy and Martin sounds lovely.
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them

ash - I know what you mean. If you had asked me 5 years ago whether I'd ever consider the name Martin for a future child, I probably would've laughed in your face. It's a name that DH really loved (most likely due to Martin Freeman, but I'm not going to press him ), and it's grown on me over the last few years, to the point that I really love it, too. I'd never choose it if I was naming a baby alone, but it's actually quite representative of DH's and my combined naming style

nova and sansa - I'm glad you both like it! How cool that you both had such special and influential teachers!
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training