Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Siblings for Nora Cathleen?

I have a ton of names I like, but none that stick out like how Nora did. In fact, I used to have a short list of names and now the list of possibilities keep growing! Not pregnant yet, but want to start narrowing down the lists now. Feel free to tell me which of my choices you like best or give me other suggestions that maybe I haven't thought of. Last name is 3 syllables, starting with "El." My husband and I both have very popular names for our generation so we want to stick with the same type of feel as Nora - familiar and classic but not very popular. I think most of my girl names fit that bill, but some of my boy name choices, I fear, may be TOO popular (i.e. Owen, John and Benjamin).

Girls -
    Margot (Maggie)
    Sylvie
    Eve
    Carys
    Johanna (Jo or Hanna)
    Mary
    Alice
    Zoe
    Maeve
    Greta
    Josephine (Josie)
    Ivy
    Gwyneth/Gwenneth (Gwen)

Boys -
    Declan (Deke or Dex)
    Sebastian (Bastion, Seb or Bash)
    Miles or Milo
    Ewan
    Dean
    Lyle
    Ian
    Gavin
    Keith
    Luca
    Finn
    Benjamin (Ben)
    John
    Mom to Nora Cathleen.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Miles (Milo). Dean. Euan. Ronan. Dexter (Dex). John (Johnny). Max. Finn. Reid.

Gwyneth (Gwen). Elise. Bronwen (Bonnie). Mary. Piper. Josephine (Josie). Iris. Margot. Sylvie. Edith (Edie).

My favorites:

Sylvie
    Eve- I think Nora and Eve sound best together
    Ivy

Suggestions: Stella, Phoebe, Claire, Hazel, Juliet

I like Dex on its own, but a little trendy for Nora
    Milo- my favorite with Nora
    Lyle
    Benjamin

Suggestions- James, Gabriel, Nathan
    Maddox (Max) James 08.31.13.

Boys Favourites: Holden, Theron (Theo), Aidan, Killian

Girls Favourites: Rosalie, Lucy, Lyra, Isla

Nora's a great name. Vintage, familiar, but, I think to the American ear, just a little quirky, a little earthy, a little unexpected, a little less straight-laced than Elizabeth or Emily.

From your List of girls' names, I think Sylvie, Eve, and Ivy fit this vibe perfectly.

Mary, Alice and Johanna are my second tier choices, though they seem to lack the slight quirk that Nora boasts.

My take on your other choices:

I'm not a fan of subsets that are obviously drawn from disparate cultures. Of course one could argue that we live in a naming melting pot, and that names used in modern America all have rich histories. But, still, Michelle and Heidi, for example, don't work for me as sisters. Nora, especially with Cathleen, leans Irish, so I wouldn't use Margot, Carys, or Greta. Of course, judging which names have become 'American enough' to have lost their historical associations is a subjective exercise.

Maeve, Gwyneth, Zoe, and Josephine seem too polished next to Nora, although Gwen seems like a great fit.

As for the boys:

Declan, Ian and Gavin are my choices.

Dean and Lyle probably hit the vintage and unexpected vibe best, but I don't care for either personally.

Sebastian, Miles and Ewan are my second tier choices, though they seem a bit less down to earth than Nora.

Benjamin and John are too traditional next to Nora.

The Italian Luca doesn't work for me. C

Finn seems too trendy, and Keith seems too Beach Boys.

Other suggestions Dinah, Tess, Pearl and Ada and Calvin, Arthur and Simon.
    Obsessing over names since 1964

Thanks for the ideas so far! I've taken some from both of you. As for Claire, Stella, Hazel and Phoebe - love them ALL, but I know of a few people that recently named their daughters Claire. Stella and Hazel would absolutely be top contenders for Nora's sister IF it didn't clash horribly with our last name. Juliet, while beautiful, reminds me too much of Julie, which I knew several throughout my years growing up.

As for heritage, I am a blend of many and I feel my names reflect that. Therefore, I don't have a problem having a Nora and Greta or a Nora and Margot. While I like several Irish names and could end up using more, it would be purely because they ended up being my favorite and not because I felt like I HAD to use them. I would find it more interesting if there were a mixture of heritage, actually, not only to reflect my many roots but also to remain more unpredictable. I was more looking for a general "feeling" of similarity to names, if that makes sense. Like you stated, Heidi and Michelle would sound odd, but not because they are from different origins - just different styles and vibes they give off.

On a side note, I was surprised you to say that Zoe is too polished! While I adore this name and have since I was a child, it feels the most trendy to me which makes me uneasy about using it.

What is everybody's thoughts on the name Vada for a girl? What about Leland (nn Lee) for a boy?
    Mom to Nora Cathleen.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Miles (Milo). Dean. Euan. Ronan. Dexter (Dex). John (Johnny). Max. Finn. Reid.

Gwyneth (Gwen). Elise. Bronwen (Bonnie). Mary. Piper. Josephine (Josie). Iris. Margot. Sylvie. Edith (Edie).

I love Vada! Not a big fan of Leland, but the only one I know is a girl.

Maddox (Max) James 08.31.13.

Boys Favourites: Holden, Theron (Theo), Aidan, Killian

Girls Favourites: Rosalie, Lucy, Lyra, Isla